One Wish with Melissa Walker GCC Interview

Welcome to the Girlfriend's Cyber Circuit, a  web ring of YA authors dedicated to bringing you the latest news about YA releases and interviews with the fabulous people responsible for them.

I'm so honored to be a new member, and looking forward to hosting all the members here! Today's guest is Melissa Walker!


The year that broke her heart. The summer that healed it. A dual love story.

Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?

Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heartis a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.


Melissa Walker is a writer who has worked as ELLEgirl Features Editor and Seventeen Prom Editor. All in the name of journalism, she has spent 24 hours with male models and attended an elite finishing school for girls in New Zealand, among other hardships.

She co-founded I Heart Daily with fellow ex-ELLEgirl Anne Ichikawa in 2009. It’s a daily newsletter about likable stuff.

Melissa lives in Brooklyn and has a BA in English from Vassar College. She would tell you her SAT scores too, but, you know, the math part was hard.

 She loves meeting teenagers, and is game to speak at your library or school about writing, books, fashion, magazines or pop culture (but, you know, in a smart way). Get in touch to discuss.

Violet on the RunwayViolet by Design and Violet in Private (Penguin), are the books in a trilogy about a small-town girl who is scouted to become a model and finds herself in the middle of the crazy fashion world. Lovestruck Summer (HarperTeen) is a beach read full of indie rock and cowboys. Small Town Sinners (Bloomsbury) is the story of a girl who wants to star in her Evangelical community’s Hell House production.

If you could have one wish that would allow you to do something you've always wanted to do (and Ryan Gosling isn't an appropriate answer), what would it be? Why?

It's funny that you bring up Ryan Gosling, because I never thought I found him attractive. But I think I was wrong about that because he's the only movie star who appears in my dreams these days. Sometimes I'm dating him, sometimes he's a friend. But obviously, I think about him too much if he's entering my subconscious. Anyway... back to your question. My one wish would be to travel for a year with my family. I would love to take off and see the world, all parts of it, with the people I love. I may do it one day! But that's on my mind right now. I love every bit of travel I've done, even the hard trips, and the experience--for me--is the stuff of a rich life. Of course, if I could fly that might make traveling easier... but nah, I'll stay within the possible for this Q. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us everything: