6/20/2012

One Wish with Kimberly Pauley

One of the very first people I met in publishing was Kimberly Pauley. She's the founder of Young Adult Books Central (since she's now living abroad (that sounds so fancy) she has passed the reigns over to the faboush MG Buehlren).

Kimberly was unfailingly kind to me, and her generosity and encouragement got me through many a draft. AND? She is HILARIOUS. If you don't believe me, check out SUCKS TO BE ME, STILL SUCKS TO BE ME, and the most recent, and possibly my fave, CAT GIRL'S DAY OFF. (If you claim to be ANY kind of John Hughes fan you should read this.)


From Publisher’s Weekly:
“I was a freak from a family of freaks.” High school sophomore Natalie “Nat” Ng has a “Talent” she’s not proud of: the ability to talk to cats. Her younger sister is a “supergenius” with chameleonlike abilities; her older sister is proficient in truth divination and levitation, and has X-ray vision; and her parents work for the Bureau of Extrasensory Regulation and Management. When a film crew comes to Nat’s Chicago high school to shoot a takeoff of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off things get fishy: the female star isn’t acting like herself, and Nat learns from a cat that celebrity blogger Easton West may not be who she claims to be. Along with her friends Oscar and Melly, Nat gets dragged into a whirlwind adventure to find out what happened to the real Easton. Pauley (Still Sucks to Be Me) offers amusing insights into the minds of cats, snappy dialogue, and a fast-paced plot. Readers should easily relate to Nat, and cat-lovers in particular will find a lot to enjoy in this romp. Ages 12–up.



I asked Kimberly my favorite interview question of late, and here's her response.  


So…if I had ONE wish, what would I wish for?

Wow, that is just the hardest darn question EVER. Really. Seriously. I think about all the bad things in my life that I wish hadn’t happened…but change one and it changes everything. And who knows how it would change things? Could be good…but could be bad. What if I’d never had The Max, the cutest boy in the world? Not to mention that all those bad things made me who I am today. I ain’t perfect, but I wouldn’t want to be anyone else.

Then, of course, there’re all the BIG things to wish for, like World Peace, The Cure for Cancer…but somehow, those things could have their dangers too (I wrote a short story when I was a teen…a little girl wished for world peace and got it…everyone died and boy, was it peaceful on the planet).  But how, you ask, could wishing for a cure for cancer be bad? I dunno. But if I were a devil’s advocate kind of science fiction writer…(ahem)…which I sometimes am…well, let’s just say I can come up with a couple of scenarios off the top of my head.

It’s terrible being a writer sometimes.

So that leaves me with frivolous wishes. Things that shouldn’t have any consequences. Stuff like a lifetime supply of chocolate which, come to think of it, doesn’t sound too bad. Or a self-cleaning house. Or…you get the idea.

You know what? I’ve made my choice. I wish for everyone else to get a wish (except for bad people…you know, like evil dictators and serial killers and people like that—no wishing for things that’d hurt other people). Now, if any wishes go bad, it’s not really my fault, right?

So, what do you wish for?

I WISH TO GIVE AWAY A COPY OF CAT GIRL'S DAY OFF! If you wish to win, comment below with your email addy! Tell us what you wish for to enter!

18 comments:

  1. I wish I had more time to read all of these fantabulous books!! This looks like a really fun book and will have to add it to my growing list of "must reads". staciewilsonwrites@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would wish I had a narrator who loves musicals. That way, (s)he would sing as I do day to day things and make it really fun. ^_^ - yalyj15@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I want that! Why have I never thought of that?

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read this! I really loved the Sucks to Be Me books, so funny. Anyway...aimeebartis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAT GIRL'S DAY OFF is one of the best books I've read this year. So much fun! I loved it. My wish is that everyone snatches up this gem and finds out how awesome it is for themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would wish for every person to have a desire (and the ability) to read. There are so many fantastic books out there and not nearly enough readers. Can't wait to read this one! :) jenuinecupcakes at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish for health and happiness for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I've never thought about all the consequences there could be to a simple wish. But I think I'd go with the lifetime supply of chocolate, personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really liking that one...then I started thinking about my waistline and my hips...so I'd have to modify it now to be calorie-less chocolate...

      Delete
  8. I wish to become a cat for a day, and laze around on soft stuff, reading books (Cause I'm a cool cat that can read) :)
    Thanks for the giveaway!

    kaylashelleyarnold@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd wish for Nat's talent. Maybe then I could begin to understand my cat, Sabrina, and why she does what she does.

    jlgard80@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd want to wish for good things like health, happiness and prosperity for my family, but then I'd also be tempted to wish for lighter things, such as more YA books like Kimberly Pauley's--ones that are funny and unique with supernatural elements/superpowers:) Or superpowers of my own, but there are always consequences there...

    yung4ever95@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...I'd wish for the ability to find as much reading time as I needed without having to sacrifice the other things in my life (like sleep and spending time with my husband, LOL)!
    ireadtorelax@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only one wish?!!! I wish for more wishes.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could spend more time with all the books I want to read!
    j.floyd.erm (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo..now you have me rethinking all my knee-slap wishes. Okay, so I'm going for a luscious garden complete with a wall and peeling old gate where I could sit for hours and write books. THAT would be awesome, help the planet (go green!) and give me hours of pleasure. Plus my kids would go crazy in all that vegetation. Christenehouston@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: