4/11/2012

Character Choices

A couple of weeks ago (okay a month), the spectacular Kim Harrington, author of CLARITY and PERCEPTION (and other fabulous things that I may or may have not read and enjoyed tremendously), sent me a couple of questions for posts she was doing for her blog. Because I am a little behind on email (okay a lot), I just answered her. Today.

HOWEVER!

Kim's post has already gone up. Part one is here, and part two is here. Because I enjoyed answering the questions so much, I decided to give you my answers over here! On my blog! Where it doesn't matter if I'm behind (I am), because I'm THE ONE IN CONTROL!

No Need to Worry! It's All Under Control! GIF - No Need to Worry! It's All Under Control!
JUST LIKE THIS GUY, I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

 Question One (courtesy of Kim Harrington):

HOW DID I CHOOSE MY MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME?

In the book that lives under my bed that no one will ever, ever see, my main character's name is Keats. I have this thing for the Holy Trinity (Byron, Shelley and Keats), so that was my little hat tip to them. 

When I started HOURGLASS, I thought I'd just keep the trend going. I went back to the HT, and Byron didn't work. Neither did Shelley. So I thought I'd bring it on over the pond to the US, and I looked at my favorite American poets. It was between Whitman and Emerson, and Emerson won!



Question Two (also courtesy of Kim Harrington):

DID I MAKE ANY CONSCIOUS DECISIONS ABOUT HER APPEARANCE?


I have always wanted to be short and spunky. I'm medium, and somewhat lethargic. I knew our girl Em needed to be strong physically - it's one of her defenses against all the things that've happened to her - so I made her a Karate Kid and a runner. 

I'm still over here being medium and lethargic. 

Do you have any burning questions about HOURGLASS or the characters? You can either post them in the comments, of if they are slightly spoilery you can email me at my name at gmail, and I will answer them in upcoming posts! If they are appropriate! And I can remember the answers!

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. YES! Em's name PLUS Cristiano Ronaldo soccer genius. *ahem* Sorry, didn't mean to get so excited. (and I'm so glad you went with Emerson instead of Shelley. "Shell" just would be... goofy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. RONALDOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! He is acutally my favorite soccer star! :D
    Yeah Emerson is definitely the better choice... Shelley sounds weird? lol
    :D
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: