11/22/2011

The Truth About the Movie Deal, or Why Bloggers Matter


When I announced the sale of the movie rights for HOURGLASS, I mentioned that a there's a snuggly story behind how the whole thing happened. 

(I've started and erased this paragraph four times. There are lots of secrets that I have to keep, so I'm treading lightly.) Let's just say that in the past two years, Twentieth Century Fox weren't the only ones who thought HOURGLASS would translate well to a screen, big or small. Moving along. 

I've seen people claim that book bloggers don't matter. That social media is a waste of time. 

That's not true. The fact that my little book was optioned by Fox is proof. 

The week HOURGLASS came out, some of you crazy peeps on Twitter got the idea to let MTV Hollywood Crush know that you thought they should read it. (I'm looking at you Mundie Moms, Novel Novice, Twilight Lexicon and Twilight Facebook.) You tweeted, you retweeted, you teased, you fished, and MTV, via Sabrina Rojas Weiss, bit. 

I spent quite a few weeks in abject terror. What if she HATED it? And then, on the first day of our Ash2Nash tour, I got a text. Hollywood Crush reviewed it, and they liked it! They really liked it! That in itself was cool enough, but what happened next was even better. 

At the end of the summer, Hollywood Crush took a poll. They wanted people to vote for their favorite beach read, and they listed all the books they'd reviewed last summer, including HOURGLASS. My first thought was "AWESOME" and my second thought was "OH CRAP. This will be embarrassing." I prepared for a slaughter, kind of the way Jace killed Kaleb in the YA Sisterhood Crush Tourney. 

And then my friend Jen called. 

JEN: "Um, have you looked at the Summer Beach Read poll?" 

ME: "No." *gets all hot and sweaty and embarrassed thinking about how bad it must be for Jen to call*

JEN: "You should go look." 

I think it was a Saturday morning. I traipsed over to my computer and pulled up the link. HOURGLASS was winning. 

ME: "Oh. Probably because none of the other authors are awake. They just haven't tweeted it yet." 

JEN: *sassy face* (I wasn't there to see, but she has a real good sassy face and I'm sure she was making it.)


Over the next few weeks, HOURGLASS didn't fall to the bottom of the list. Why?

Did I call my friends and family on the phone and ask them to vote? NO.

Did I canvas my neighborhood and local grocery store with flyers? NO.

Did I even send EMAILS? NO. 

I tweeted. I put up a blog post. Y'all voted. Readers, bloggers, friends, those of you who liked the book. 

Guess who noticed HOURGLASS on the MTV website? 

It doesn't end there. Nope. Just like any of the rest of us, Fox googled (or binged, or yahooed, whatever) the book to see what people had to say about it.

In the words of Awesome Agent Holly, "They looked, and it was there." 

The reviews. The author interviews. Teaser Tuesdays and Waiting on Wednesdays. Cover Love. The Debut Author Challenge. ARC tours. Goodreads and Amazon reviews. 

Do book bloggers matter? 

What do you think? 

I wanted to wait until this week, when most of us reflect on the things we're thankful for, to post this. Because readers and friends, I am grateful for you. I'm grateful that you take the time to thoughtfully review, to discuss things on social media, to be advocates for books and authors. 

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, book bloggers are readers. What would books be without readers? Who would writers be?

I know the realities of the book to movie world, but those odds don't matter. What matters is, YOU made a difference. 

So thank you. Thank you. 

36 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!!!! Love this!!!! Thank you Myra for writing a wonderful story and for saying book bloggers matter xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! This made me feel all jolly :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet thing to put into the cyberverse. I hope every book blogger hears it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a book blogger but a lot of my friends are and it is thanks to them that I picked up Hourglass. I love this post because it shows that the work and passion that my friends put into their blogs is worth it. Thank you for recognizing and appreciating them!! And thank you for writing a book worthy of their efforts ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww I got a little teary eyed there! That was such a sweet post. This is why I blog, tweet, review and more.... So that my favorite authors (you included) can get the recognition they deserve! Congrats and thankyou from the bottom of this book bloggers heart!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myra,

    I'm so excited to be part of this post. When I was DM'ing with Sabrina & she asked for the book I was ecstatic. It was such an honor to review HOURGLASS for TwilightFacebook. I hope I get to do the same for TIMEPIECE

    ~ Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do rock a pretty mean sassy face!! But you have to know that the books had to be good in order for people to respond the way they did. Congrats to you and your awesome writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to hear that a Teaser Tuesday post really does matter in the scheme of things :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such an awesome story! Like you, I couldn't be more appreciative of the folks who've taken time to review and tweet and FB for me. Book bloggers and readers are awesome people and I love being part of the YA community. Congrats to you, Myra!! I wish you nothing but endless success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to know that us little old book bloggers do occasionally matter! :) I got little fuzzies now <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you, Myra! You totally earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thants such a sweet post ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowee--thx for sharing! Makes me feel all squishy and huggy inside!! :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. HUZZAH! And you bet your bippy these folks matter! (And HOURGLASS totally deserves it!)

    CONGRATS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! So wonderful that the supportive writing and book blogging world can make a difference.Congrats, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww! It's always nice to hear such snuggly-sweet stories around the holidays. You deserve it, Myra. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! Congrats, Myra.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awe--you are so sweet! And you totally deserve it. We love you and Hourglass!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was by far my favortie read of the year! I have a total girl crush and cannot wait for Timepiece to come out!!!

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an uplifting post. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's so amazing, Myra. I can't tell you how excited I am for you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats and what a great story the whole process made! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an awesome post! I love reading blogs from authors where they acknowledge how much good book bloggers can do. But on the flip side, you had to write an amazing book for us to stand up and tell everyone we know about it. Basically it's just a wonderful relationship. I think I've said it before elsewhere, but congratulations again on the film option and the success of your debut! (By the way, I'm James from Book Chic but for some reason it won't let me comment under my Google account)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are a wonderful, beyond-kind friend. HOURGLASS was noticed because it's a great story and readers fall in love with great stories.

    Also, I am certain that Jen rocks a sassy face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, you guys are awesome! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fantastic story. Book bloggers rule! Will RT. And major congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've read this like 3 times and every time it makes me cry! I am SO EXCITED for you! It's amazing! You're amazing! We are so excited you've allowed us to be there every step of the way from reading the manuscript through hosting the blog tour, to the release day! Now we're waiting patiently to see this on the big screen. You know what that will mean... GIRLS NIGHT!! ;)
    We love you and we ARE FREAKING EXCITED and HAPPY FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great story! I'm so excited for you Myra :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so beyond excited for you! Hourglass was an amazing book, and you should be very, VERY proud of it! I'm so looking forward to Timepiece! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How did I miss this??? Congratulations, Myra!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, what a totally awesome story! Congrats and have a thankful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow that is an amazing story!!!! I'm so glad that we could contribute to your success. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a good season for you! Thanks for sharing your joy and hope and success with us!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so proud of you Myra McEntire. So dayum proud.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: