3/03/2011

Kim Harrington: Bookanista Thursday in The Fort!


I loved CLARITY by Kim Harrington. LOOOOOOVED. 

I'd been coveting it ever since the cover was revealed and I learned about the concept. So this fall, I jumped on the suggestion that Kim and I swap ARCs and then swap back (we only get a few, you know). I had really high hopes, and I was NOT disappointed. 

Clare is funny, snarky, brave and resourceful. (She and my Emerson would totally be BFF's. They could travel through time and solve crime - and possibly pick up some "special" souvenirs to sell to pay for their college educations.) Clare's family relationships are strong and the interactions believable. Her mom is a free-spirit, her brother is quite the ladies' man, and both of those things get them all into trouble.

When things go really, really wrong and Clare's brother becomes a murder suspect, she does everything she can to help him clear his name, including teaming up with a police detective's son. When a new "psychic" moves in on the main street of town, Clare tries to help her family business stay afloat. This seems like a lot of responsibility to carry on such young shoulders, but she has the strength to handle it, and the reader roots for her all the way.

The small, sea-side tourist town makes the reader long for summer and kisses in the sand. *cough* The descriptions of locals and outsiders are spot on. So, if you're a fan of mysteries with a twist of paranormal, and if you like your heroes handsome and flawed, CLARITY is for you!

I love even more that there's a sequel coming: PERCEPTION! 

You can learn more about the origins of CLARITY and follow Kim's journey on her blog by clicking here.

About CLARITY:
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch an object and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case — but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother — who has supernatural gifts of his own — becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

About Kim:
Kim Harrington lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. When not writing, she's most likely reading, watching one of her favorite TV shows, or fantasizing about her next vacation. She has no psychic powers and is cool with that. Visit her on the web at http://www.kimharringtonbooks.com.

Favorite comfort food?
Spaghetti with plain (not chunky) marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese. I would eat it for dinner every night of my life if I could.

Favorite game?
I’m more of an indoor girl so I’m going to pick a board game…and I have to go with my nerdy favorite: Trivial Pursuit.

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie?
Can I wear all three? I’m ALWAYS cold. I often wear robes over my clothing with a blanket on top of that.

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color would you pick?
Purple. My favorite color.

Fluffy socks or slippers?
Both. The warmer the better.

Favorite fall drink?
I don’t drink tea or coffee, but I love hot chocolate. Especially with marshmallows.

Ghost story or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past?
I’m all about the ghost stories. My favorite part of slumber parties was scaring each other to the point where we couldn’t sleep. But, strangely, I can’t remember any of the stories. Must be the trauma.

Truth? Or dare?
Both are scary…though I’ll pick truth.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Maybe the sounds of Bob Marley would help us feel warm. We could close our eyes and pretend we’re on a beach.

What movie would you bring to watch?
Somewhere in Time. Everyone else may think it’s a cheesy movie from 1980, but Myra and I know it’s GENIUS.

(Myra Note: And Christopher Reeves ... *swoon*)

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
I’m going to go with the unconventional choice of Stephen Hawking. He can help explain some of the topics Myra and I obsess over.

(Another Myra Note: HEEHEE!)

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Lightly toasted and plopped on chocolate.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Awake all night. I never sleep well away from home. And if we’re in a real fort…like outside …then there’s NO WAY I’m sleeping.

If awake all night, innocent practical joke or no?
I would probably want to do a practical joke, but fear of retaliation would stop me.

If you could have any YA author visit The Fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
I’d have Sonia Gensler come and tell us ghost stories!

Thanks for visiting The Fort, Kim! 

I'm keeping Stephen Hawking, btw. Writing time travel IS HARD.



5 comments:

  1. Ok, I LOVE that she chose Stephen Hawking. Such a refreshing mascot!

    Also, looking forward to reading Clarity. (And HOURGLASS, but you know, more on that later!) Sounds like a really page-turned. How could you not love a character that could be BFFs with your character?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read CLARITY. And totally with Kim. If it didn't look so weird, I'd live in fleece and fuzzy socks with a snuggie on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sooooooo loved this book!

    OMG Somewhere in Time absolutely broke my heart when I saw it! That movie left a huge impression on me -- is it available on DVD?

    I will do my best to line up some good ghost stories for The Fort. Can we have a castle fort? In Wales? And teleport there? Perhaps going back in time while we're at it? Could Stephen Hawking help out with this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that she chose Stephen Hawking! Great answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously cannot wait to read Clarity. I've been itching to get my hands on it for ages!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: