Sara Bennett-Wealer: Friday in the Fort

ABOUT SARA: Sara Bennett Wealer grew up in Manhattan, Kansas (the “Little Apple”), where she sang with the choir and wrote for her high school newspaper. She majored in vocal performance at the University of Kansas before deciding she had no business trying to make a career as an opera singer. She transferred to journalism school, where nobody cares if you can hit a high C or convincingly portray a Valkyrie.

Sara now lives in Cincinnati with her husband and daughters, and she still sings when her schedule allows—most recently with the May Festival Chorus, the official choir of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.

ABOUT RIVAL: RIVAL is a high-stakes duet between two seniors--once friends, now enemies--who are preparing to go up against each other in a major singing competition. To Brooke, winning means escaping the in-crowd for life as a professional musician. Kathryn, meanwhile, sees victory as the key to a much-needed college scholarship. As the big day nears, each girl must face her fears about the future, her scars from the past, and the fact that the person she hates most might just be the best friend she ever had.

Favorite comfort food?  
Mom's fried chicken. If that's not available I'll take a bag of Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles, please.

Favorite game?  
Outdoors, I like foursquare or dodgeball. Indoors, I kick butt at Trivial Pursuit or Dominoes.

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie? 
Flannel AND fleece. (I love to be cozy.)

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color would you pick? 

Fluffy socks or slippers? 
Fluffy socks

Favorite fall drink?  
Coffee. I take it black, unless I'm drinking a Starbucks Dark Cherry Mocha or Caramel Brulee Latte. I also love a nice hot spiced apple cider.

Ghost story or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past?  
Of course ghost stories!! I remember one a friend told me about this weird house he lived in where he saw a little kid crawl under the bed and through the wall. He also saw a white cat a lot in that same area. He said it frightened the piss out of him. Just thinking about it frightens *me!*

Truth? Or dare?  
Since dares can involve getting cold or wet or naked, I'll choose truth.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack? 
I love introducing people to October Project - the years when Mary Fahl was the lead singer. For something more recent, I like The Pierces.

What movie would you bring to watch?  

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?  
My daughter watches Disney Channel, and there's a cute guy on this show called "Zeke and Luther." His name is Hutch Dano. He's cute. That's reason enough, right? He also played Henry Huggins in the Ramona and Beezus movie, so he's got a kidlit connection!

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?  
Burn baby, burn.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?  
I'd be the one who would try to go to sleep then get kept awake by the ones who wanted to stay up all night. This would cause me to fret and worry, but I'd try to hide it because I wouldn't want to be *that* kid.

If awake all night, innocent practical joke or no (and what kind)?  
See above about the fretting and worrying.

If you could have any YA author visit The Fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell? 
I think I'd ask Libba Bray because she seems like she'd be hilarious. I can imagine that any story she'd have to tell would be fun.

Thank you so much for visiting The Fort, Sara! 

Five lucky winners will receive signed RIVAL bookmarks! Just fill out the form below to enter!


  1. Hehe. Nice little interview thingy with Wealer.

    Good luck to those entering the contest! ;)

  2. Not entering. I received a ARC copy in a giveaway. But I just wanted to say I really liked the book. It's a great read.

  3. Thanks for the interview and giveaway. I was the kid who stayed up all night. I could never get a good night's sleep at other people's houses. That didn't stop me from going slumber parties though. Hehe.

  4. Oh, I just found out that Sara will be at a signing with Lisa and Laura and Julia Karr. Looking forward to meeting her. Anyone who likes Sour cream and Cheddar Ruffles is my kind of girl. I know that kid from Zeke and Luther. He IS cute!

    Great interview, Myra. Looking forward to RIVAL!


Tell us everything: