Ally Condie: In The Fort!

Welcome Ally Condie to the Fort!

For those of you who don't know (how heavy IS that rock you're under, btw?), Ally is the author of the New York Times bestseller MATCHED, a young adult dystopian novel about a girl named Cassia whose carefully controlled world is about to change.

Ally loves reading and writing and running and eating and not doing dishes. She is the mother of three small boys and lives with her incredibly nice husband outside of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Favorite comfort food?
Cold cereal. It is the one thing that pretty much always sounds good, even when I am pregnant and sick! (Not that I am pregnant or sick right now.)

Favorite game?
Well, it's not a game, but I adore watching fall cross-country meets in the fall when the air is crisp. Does that count?

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie?

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color would you pick?
No Snuggie! I can't see those things without dying of laughter and thinking of Liz Lemon's "Slanket" on 30 Rock a few seasons ago.

Fluffy socks or slippers?
Fluffy socks.

Favorite fall drink?
Hot chocolate with little strips of toast for dipping in them. My grandma used to make these and she called them "soldier boys" and I think of her every time I make them for my kids. And the hot chocolate should have marshmallows in it, but not the crappy tiny ones that come in the hot chocolate mix. I mean real marshmallows.

Ghost story or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past?
Definitely ghost story! I can't remember any we used to tell, but I do remember reading Wait Till Helen Comes and feeling very freaked out when I was a kid. Maybe we could tell that story.

Truth? Or dare?
Truth. Dares are so scary!

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Every party is better with a little Neil Diamond.

What movie would you bring to watch?
Just Friends. That movie kills me every time. Plus it has this great nostalgia-inducing soundtrack.

Who's the ideal mascot for The Fort and why?
Richard Armitage from the BBC version of North and South. He has that accent and is good-looking, but not in the way that everyone else in Hollywood is good-looking. If he can't come, maybe Ryan Reynolds could come and tell us jokes while we watch Just Friends and laugh at the scene where he's singing "I Swear."

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Lightly toasted, please!

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
First one to sleep. I am a total sleep junkie. I cannot get enough.

If awake all night, innocent practical joke or no?
Sadly, I'm probably the one people would be playing the jokes on since I'd zonk out so quickly. So I'll probably wake up with toothpaste in my hair or something, won't I?

If you could have any YA author visit The Fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
I would like Ann Dee Ellis to come visit The Fort and tell us scary stories because she is fantastic at spooky stuff (and also very funny).

Thanks for answering the questions! 
Thank YOU for letting me visit The Fort!! It has been way too much fun answering these questions. :)

Ally is a love, and a perfect addition to The Fort, yes?

I'll be posting more Fort interviews over the next few days! Make sure to come back Friday to enter to win your pick of the books featured this week!


  1. Excellent choice on Richard Armitage from North and South! He was incredible in that movie. The last five minutes...that's all I'll say. Everyone needs to watch it.

  2. We used to do that with toast and call them soldiers - except we dipped them in soft boiled eggs not hot chocolate! :)

  3. Mmmmm, fluffy socks, marshmallows, and Richard Armitage--oh my! :-) Great interview, and MATCHED was a great read!

  4. Jessie harrell1/11/2011 07:30:00 PM

    I want to read this one (so you know I'll be back on Friday)! And such a fun interview.

  5. Matched has been sitting on my shelf, begging for me to read it. I hope I can get to it soon! That Richard Armitage looks like a lovely mascot for the Fort. It seems men with accents are hiding in all corners now :D

  6. haha, she says "definitely ghost story" and then the next question she says "dares are too scary"! Very indecisive, which I can totally relate to :)


Tell us everything: