12/03/2010

Friday in the Fort with Kirsten Miller

I was lucky enough to meet the lovely Kirsten Miller at a group breakfast at the Decatur Book Festival this fall, and I have to tell you, she is an absolute sweetheart. She kept us laughing at the table with her stories about her publishing journey, including the "alleged" letter she wrote to Neil Gaiman. (I put alleged in quotes, because I'm not sure if she wrote AND sent the letter. Either way, her storytelling skills made me snort blueberry pancakes.)

Kirsten was kind enough to agree to be interviewed for Friday in the Fort, and I'm sure you'll agree with me that she's a true gem.

Read her interview and then enter below to win a copy of her first book (which I am enjoying IMMENSELY), KIKI STRIKE: INSIDE THE SHADOW CITY.

Bio: Kirsten Miller grew up in a tiny town in the mountains of North Carolina. At seventeen, she packed her bags and moved to Manhattan to attend Barnard College.

After a stint in advertising, Kirsten sat down at her computer, determined to enter the world of young adult fiction. She hasn't gotten up yet.
Her first two novels, Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City and The Empress's Tomb were published by Bloomsbury Children's Books to critical acclaim. Together, they tell the story of Kiki Strike and the Irregulars, a band of delinquent girl geniuses who keep New York safe.

The Kiki books have been published in more than two dozen languages. A third Kiki Strike novel, The Darkness Dwellers is currently in the works.

Kirsten's first book outside the Kiki Strike series was published in August, 2010. A New York Times bestseller, The Eternal Ones is a twisted tale of reincarnation, true love, and sinister secret societies. The sequel to The Eternal Ones will be published in 2011.


Favorite comfort food?
Hot dogs loaded with onions, mustard, and sauerkraut.

Favorite game?
I’m a Southerner. Football! I never watch it on TV, but there’s nothing better than sitting in the stands on a cool autumn night with a cozy shawl around your shoulders. (And a hot guy by your side.)

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie?
Flannel. I have a thing for lumberjacks.

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color would you pick?
My brother has a zebra print Snuggie which is rather awesome. I figure if you’re going down the Snuggie route, you might as well have fun with it.

Fluffy socks or slippers?
Slippers, though I must admit I don’t own any at the moment.

Favorite fall drink?
I’m a coffee girl. But there’s a place in New York called City Bakery that makes the most decadent hot chocolate known to man. It’s like fifteen chocolate bars melted into a cup. I’m always a little sick after I drink it, but while it’s going down . . . damn!

Ghost story or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past?
I know the best ghost stories. Why are they the best? Because they’re all TRUE! For some reason, all the women in my family (including me) have seen ghosts. In fact, there’s a ghost that lives in my current apartment!

Truth? Or dare?
Dare. I’m incredibly secretive, and I think the truth is overrated. But I do love a good dare, and I’m pretty fearless when it comes to making an a** out of myself.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
The Rolling Stones. No one has managed to be sexy AND sinister like the young Mick Jagger.

What movie would you bring to watch?
Time Bandits. My favorite movie OF ALL TIME. I’ve seen it about 3000 times.

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
Viggo Mortenson. Because I’m pretty sure he’s my soul mate. Plus, he looks like he’d know how survive in the wilderness if necessary. And I bet he loves Time Bandits.

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
I despise marshmallows. Please don’t judge me!

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Awake all night.

If awake all night, innocent practical joke or no?
Oh yes. I’ve always loved the idea of a practical joke involving an evil doll. I’d lay the ground work early in the evening. “I have this doll that I think might move around the house whenever I go to sleep!” I’d make the stories super creepy. Then I wouldn’t mention the doll for a few hours. Once everyone but my accomplice has gone to sleep, I’d place the doll a few inches from someone’s face. Then I’d have my accomplice pretend to wake up, notice the doll, and scream at the top of her lungs.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
JK Rowling. I want to know all the dirt. All the stuff that was too scandalous to make it into the Harry Potter books. You know there’s gotta be some good stuff.


I KNOW, RIGHT? Told ya she was a gem. Enter below to win KIKI STRIKE: INSIDE THE SHADOW CITY, and make sure to pick up Kirsten's latest YA release and New York Times bestseller, THE ETERNAL ONES!




5 comments:

  1. Ha ha, she's awesome! If I don't win Kiki Strike, I'm totally buying my own copy! And that evil doll story cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a thing for lumberjacks too. ;) Also, City Bakery is AWESOME! As is the bookstore across the street from it. Annnnd Viggo is *yum*. Have you seen him in The Road? Amazing movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. It's amazing how in that pic Viggo looks like Aaron Eckhart only so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a REAL EVIL DOLL in Key West. I shudder just to think about it. Kristen, you are just the right type of evil! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like this copy ! since i haven't read any of Kiersten books before :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: