11/18/2010

A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Bookanista Thursday

I am an unabashed fan of The Vampire Diaries, and not just because of these guys:


No, really. I swear. Stop looking at them, we have business to tend to. *hands you a tissue to wipe off the drool* STOP. IT.

*ahem*

I may be a fan of The Vampire Diaries, but I'm not the biggest fan, or the only one who is a Young Adult author. The fabulous Red and Vee are corunners of Vampire-Diaries.net, the first fansite devoted to the Vampire Diaries TV and book series. They are also the editors of A VISITORS GUIDE TO MYSTIC FALLS: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries.


I was expecting a fun, light read from A VISITOR'S GUIDE TO MYSTIC FALLS. I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading the essays inside - and they are essays - to find that they are not only immensely entertaining, but witty and very smart. If only college essays could have been this much fun!

Examples:

Author Sarah Rees Brennan addresses "Women Who Love Vampires Who Eat Women" and if you know Sarah's work, you already know you're going to laugh your ass off. Addressing Stefan's bloodlust problem in season one:

"ELENA: There, there, sweetheart! You mistook a blonde full of delicious blood for a donut full of delicious jelly. It could happen to anyone. 

STEFAN: Oh, Elena, what would I do without you? I must nuzzle your delicate neck in love and angst.

AUDIENCE: Neck. Blood-crazed vampire. Blood-crazed vampire, neck! Does this not strike you as a bad combination? 

ELENA: Please do. There, there. Everything is going to be okay once I STAB YOU WITH THIS VERVAIN DART AND LOCK YOU IN THE BASEMENT TO DETOX. 

AUDIENCE: Elena Gilbert, I think I love you. 

ELENA: Damon, get his legs."

Bree Despain explores Bonnie Bennett: A New Kind of Best Friend, noting how the television writers have taken the high road when it comes to the friendship between Elena and Bonnie. Bonnie isn't your average sidekick, but as Despain explains it: 

"... Bonnie has enough burgeoning psychic powers and a bucket-load of issues that could fill her very own TV series without it being contingent on Elena and Stefan Salvatore's drama or on Damon Salvatore's smoldering "eye thing" (although I think I'll keep Damon's "eye thing," thank you very much)."

Kiersten White takes on Stefan Salvatore as the villain in Don't Be Fooled by That Noble Chin: Stefan Sucks, claiming Stefan is actually Damon's enabler:

"Stefan and Damon feed off of each other in a way far deeper than vampirism, and Stefan's refusal to eliminate Damon doesn't make him loyal - it makes him an accomplice."

Red and Vee even weigh in themselves with A Visitor's Guide to Fell's Church, a comparison between the books and the television show, or a primer of sorts for those who are more familiar with the books. They address the issue I had with the books, Elena, and my difficulty in connecting with her as a character. **

"... stick with it, because Elena's journey is one of the focal points of The Vampire Diaries; she eveolves from a self-centered teenager, who has everything she desires, to a young woman stripped bare of all she has, who is the better for it as she realizes the most important things she can possess are love, friendship, and family."

There are many more essays, eleven in all, ranging in topics from The War Between the States (Claudia Gray) to You're My Obsession (Vera Nazarian). 

I've read that a certain vampire series is being taught on college campuses. I think Vampire Diaries should be next, and Red and Vee have created the perfect textbook in A VISITOR'S GUIDE TO MYSTIC FALLS. (And if all textbooks were this entertaining, I'd have graduated with a 4.0. Sign me up.)

This book is a PERFECT Christmas gift for the Vampire Diaries fans in your life! 

COME BACK TOMORROW for Friday in the Fort with Red and Vee, and a chance to WIN A VISITOR'S GUIDE TO MYSTIC FALLS!

**(I blog about it here.)

Here's what the rest of the Bookanistas are up to today: 

Christine Fonseca is amazed by DESIRES OF THE DEAD
Elana Johnson is in love with PERILOUS
Shannon Messenger is awestruck by THE MARBURY LENS and giving away a signed hardcover
Megan Miranda is captivated by MATCHED
Beth Revis is blown away by DEMONGLASS
Lisa and Laura Roecker share a YA review from an actual YA: a "Guestanista Review" on THE REPLACEMENT
Carolina Valdez Miller is spreading picture book love for CHICKEN BUTT!
Bethany Wiggins is stunned by STRANGE ANGELS


5 comments:

  1. Man, this looks awesome! Here I was thinking this book was like a travel brochure. I know, I should probably read Vampire Diaries...don't hate me. But, I love the concept behind this book. Essays? Hmmm...this would have been way more fun to teach in my writing classes than the boring old junk I chose. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't realize how many fabulous authors have essays in this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With authors like that contributing I MUST read this. Sarah is the bomb. I'm off to buy it now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm not a Vampire Diaries fan, but now I sort of feel like I should be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I had not heard about this one coming...*feels like a bad Vampire Diaries fan* Even if most the essays were boring I would have to have it for Sarah's essay. But the rest sound really good too! So I'm excited about this one

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: