Bookanista Thursday: NetGalley

If you're a book blogger, you've most likely heard about NetGalley. If you haven't, you need to check them out!

"NetGalley is an inexpensive and green way for publishers to share their digital galleys securely. Professional readers - reviewers, media, bloggers, journalists, librarians, booksellers and educators - can all use NetGalley for FREE to read and request galleys they want to review." ~ From Netgalley's website

Reviewers register on the NetGalley site and request the galleys they want to read. Users are also required to provide blog information, stats, etc., to prove they are valid reviewers. Publishers then approve or deny reviewer requests. Galleys are available digitally for sixty days.

Here are the main two reasons I love NetGalley:

1. The cost to the publisher is minimal. Most people aren't aware of this, but the cost to produce a physical Advance Review Copy is more than the cost to produce a finished copy, even if your ARC is a paperback and your final is hardback.

2. You can decline to review a book, and you don't have to feel guilty about wasting a publisher's ARC money/time/shipping costs. This is especially helpful if you only post positive reviews.

I also love the fact that it's a green option, and if you love the book, you can know in advance that you want to purchase a finished copy. There's a public catalogue which can be searched by genre. Publishers can offer multimedia materials along with the galley, including author interviews and book trailers.

Several Young Adult publishers have signed up: Harlequin, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Hatchette and Harper Collins to name a few. Galleys can be downloaded to the iPhone, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Kindle and more.

I'm interested to see what kind of impact NetGalley has on the reviewing community - but as far as I'm concerned, so far, so good!

Here's what the rest of the Bookanistas are up to today!

Elana Johnson marvels over The Mockingbirds
Lisa and Laura Roecker dish about The Love Goddess' Cooking School
Christine Fonseca is nostalgic over books she loved growing up
Shannon Messenger is excited about the Ninth Ward
Megan Miranda adores The Adoration of Jenna Fox
Myra McEntire raves about NetGalley
Kirsten Hubbard considers the good, the bad and the ugly impact of reviews
Bethany Wiggins can't get enough of Black Hole Sun
Jamie Harrington is thrilled about The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball


  1. Thanks for this informative post, Myra! An author mentioned NetGalley to me, but I hadn't had the chance to look into it. Your post was like reading NetGalley for Dummies :) Thanks for breaking it down!

    Marissa :)

  2. Awesome post Myra...I love the idea of NetGalley.

  3. We love Netgalley, though my computer and Netgalley don't get a long. I keep having problems where I can't read the book.

  4. Wow. Great post. I'd never heard of this before but you can bet I'll be checking it out!

  5. I signed up for NetGalley, and got some ARC's and haven't even read them yet. Yikes! I need to get on that, stat.

  6. Sounds like I need to sign up for this--once I invest in some sort of ereader. I know I could read them on my computer...but I read SO MUCH on my computer, I get sick of it. But I almost have enough saved to splurge on an iPad, and then I definitely will be registering for this. :)

  7. Oh, I'm so torn on this! I don't have an ereader, and the thought of trying to read an entire book on my iphone twists me up inside. Do you know if they send a file to be read on a computer.

    Man, maybe I'll just ask for an ereader for Christmas. I love paper ARCs, but what a cool option.


Tell us everything: