Friday in the Fort with Sarah Ockler


The lovely Sarah is one of the authors whose book Wesley Scroggins decided should be banned from school libraries. I thought the perfect way to wrap up Banned Books Week would be to have Sarah in The Fort!

About Sarah: Sarah Ockler is the author of the upcoming Fixing Delilah and the critically acclaimed Twenty Boy Summer, a YALSA Teens’ Top Ten nominee, an IndieNext Kids List pick, and a New Atlantic Independent Booksellers Association Book Award early nominee. She lives in Colorado, where she enjoys hiking up mountains, hugging trees, and talking to birds with her husband, Alex.

About TWENTY BOY SUMMER, the book that caused all the ruckus: According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.
Favorite comfort food?
Mashed potatoes with Annie's Goddess dressing.

Favorite game?
Wesley Scroggins found me out: strip beer pong. But I'm sensitive to the needs of underaged kids, so for them, I offer strip apple cider pong. See, Wes? I'm not an evil defiler of young minds after all!

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie?
Fleece. I have several. I'm also partial to homemade afghans.

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color would you pick?
Snuggie? No, I will freeze before I choose Snuggie. Watch this and get back to me with a new question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y

Fluffy socks or slippers?
I like slippers, but my husband calls them my old lady slippers, so I usually go for the fluffy socks.

Favorite fall drink?
Hot coffee with Bailey's. But I drink that all year round, so maybe that's cheating!

Ghost story or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past?
Ghost story! They always give me nightmares, but they're worth it. I remember one from Girl Scout camp that had something to do with an escaped mass murderer with a hook for a hand that he used to carve up his victims. I'm not a proponent of censorship, but I have to think a story like that is not the most appropriate thing to tell a gaggle of 8-year-old girls right before zipping us into our tents in the woods for the night. We all ended up bailing on our tents for a group sleepover in the main lodge, and that story scarred me forever. Where was Wesley Scroggins when I really needed him in my life? Sheesh.

Truth? Or dare?
Dare. As a writer, I'm not that great with truth. ;-)

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Muse to get us riled up, Brandi Carlile to sing us to sleep. Although now that I've got old Hook-Hand on my mind again, I don't think I'll be sleeping.

What movie would you bring to watch?
13 Going on 30 and Pirates of the Let's Just Fast Forward to all the Sexy Jack Sparrow Scenes.

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
Johnny Depp. Why? Um, hello!

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
I'm vegetarian so I don't eat marshmallows. Do you have any baby seals instead?

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Awake all night long. Even without the ghost stories, I'm a total vampire.

If awake all night, innocent practical joke or no (and what kind)?
Whatever Johnny the pirate mascot wants. I mean... wait... what? Who said that? *cough cough* Where am I? Oh, right. Yes, innocent practical jokes. I'd leave little letters in various overnight bags for people to find later. And I'd probably drink all the Bailey's coffee. You really have to put a lock on that stuff around me!

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
Probably Josh Berk, because he cracks me up. If he wasn't available, I *guess* I'd settle for J.K. Rowling. In either case, I'd want to hear the story of whatever they're working on next. And then I'd take that idea and repurpose it as my own... I mean... huh? See what happens when you let me near that Bailey's? I'd better get to sleep before I cause any more trouble. Now who took my Johnny Depp Snuggie?

Okay, once you stop laughing from Sarah's HILARIOUS answers, enter to win a copy of TWENTY BOY SUMMER!


  1. I've seen this book around and have been meaning to pick it up! Plus now, how can I not when I like the author so much. :) Great post.

  2. Great post - and the book looks great too :)

  3. The book looks great and I love humour so the interviews a win!

  4. I love Brandi Carlile! And who wouldn't want Johnny Depp? I totally agree, whatever he wants, he shall get. Ha!

    Thanks for the interview!

  5. Hello Johnny and the Pirates!! I am very excited to read this book I mean the second someone says I should because it is bad for me I pretty much have to have it =)

  6. I love the sarcasm! So glad she's sensitive to making kiddos play apple cider pong! Tee hee! :)

  7. -grins- That was a great interview. I am now going to go watch Pirates.

  8. This book sounds so good. How could I not have read it yet?! And Sarah, you are awesomeness in carnate. Anyone who loves coffee with Bailey's and Johnny Depp rocks in my book.

  9. I can't wait to read this book -- I won it in another giveaway and have been stalking the mailbox ever since! Great interview, Myra. :)

  10. Confession: I was already planning to purchase and read this book so winning it here isn't a huge deal. I am commenting SIMPLY BECAUSE another author has the excellent drool-worthy taste to recommend my Johnny to the Fort.

    *wipes chin*

  11. This is one of those books I keep meaning to pick up. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention!

    BTW, Johnny Depp is a brilliant choice for male mascot. YUM!


Tell us everything: