10/15/2010

Friday in the Fort with Kami Garcia and Margie Stohl

Welcome to The Fort, NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLERS OF BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl!

Make sure you pick up the sequel BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS, out now. I'm halfway through, and it's FABULOUS!

Favorite comfort food? 
Margie: Cheese. Always and forever cheese. Triple Cream St. Andre. Fondue. Raclette in a town called Grenoble in the French Alps. Cream cheese on Wheat Thins. When Beautiful Creatures made the bestseller list I celebrated with grilled cheese.
Kami: Hot Fudge Sundae

Favorite game? 
Margie: Sorry, I don't like the outside kind of games. I'm a Scrabble girl.
Kami: Tetris

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie? 
Margie: Flannel. Sheets. On a bed. That I am in. For days.
Kami: Tetris

If you had to choose Snuggie, which color/design would you pick? 
Margie: I would design my own called Snugglepants TM. I wrote about them in a story once.
Kami: Unless there’s a Snuggie with AC/CD on it, I’m not wearing one.

Fluffy socks or slippers? 
Margie: Fluffy socks. See flannel bed. Unless the slippers were made out of cheese. Then I'd go with the slippers.
Kami: Fluffy Socks

Favorite fall drink? 
Margie: Gingerbread Latte one pump of ginger only with extra whip. Mmmmmmmmmm. Unless I could time travel to a future where Starbucks invents cheese latte. Then I'd go with that.
Kami: Diet Coke. I’m waiting for them to send me one of those satin jackets.

Ghost stories, yes or no? Do you remember any from slumber parties past? 
Margie: Yes. The one where the girl unties the yellow ribbon from around her neck and her head falls off. And it's really just cheese. Wait -- is that a spoiler?
Kami: I’m really superstitious, so ghost stories scare me to death—especially
ones involving exorcisms.

Truth? Or dare? 
Margie: Truth. Only lie about it. Unless the dare, of course, involves cheese.
Kami: Considering we wrote BEAUTIFUL CREATURES on a dare, I’ll go with
dare.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack? 
Margie: The soundtrack to Spring Awakening! And Glee! GLEE AWAKENING!
Kami: Black Sabbath, Soundgarden & The Killers.

What movie would you bring to watch? 
Margie: Camp Rock: The Final Jam. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I've been prepping by watching Camp Rock. Every night. (Talk about cheese...)
Kami: The Breakfast Club

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why? 
Margie: Um, Jedward! Because he is so pale and muscular...
Kami: Daniel Craig. He’s the ideal male everything.

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp? 
Margie: None. Because they are made of hooves. And I don't eat things that make noises. Only the cheese produced from the things that make noises. But I have perfected the art of roasting chocolate over a fire, balanced over two sticks.
Kami: Toasted

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Margie: Last to sleep and last to rise. Until I get home. Then first to sleep and last to rise. Until I'm under deadline. Then I mutate into 100% nocturnal. With the cream cheese and the Wheat Thins and the diet cokes...
Kami: Awake all night.

Innocent practical joke or no? 
Margie: Of course. Sharpie on the face. Because, why not?
Kami: I constantly find weird things I want to buy my friends – OK, they’re ugly clothes. I want to see if anyone will wear them.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell? 
Margie: I'd want to see Saundra Mitchell and Kami in a southern ghost story telling face off. 
Kami: Flannery O’Connor – “A Good Man Is Hard To Find”

Thanks for visiting The Fort!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me smile. So many books on the to buy list, so little credit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of my favorite people in the fort! I love it!!

    Myra-hop on a plane right now and fly out to Austin so you can hang out w/ them tonight w/ me at the Beautiful Darkness signing tonight. We would have a real girl's night the fort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! These two are hilarious. Having met them in person, I can totally hear their voices and see their facial expressions with every answer. Love these guys.

    And I love Flannery O'Connor, too! Probably one of the best short story writers ever. I would also love to see a face off between Kami and Saundra Mitchell, but maybe with Margie in there as well.

    Superb interview, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the interview!!! Diet Coke, Daniel Craig and cheese -- I am so THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! They're so funny. :P I want an AC DC snuggy now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I love cheese I have to go with Kami on this one, hot fudge Sundays are the bomb. I'm still shivering over the cheese latte Margie, and NOT in a good way. You ladies rock and I can hardly wait to read Beautiful Darkness, which is now on my night stand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much fun! Can't decide if I'm hungry for a hot fudge sundae or some cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these ladies are hysterical - thanks for sharing such a fun interview

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: