Friday in the Fort with Kody Keplinger

Today to The Fort we welcome the absolutely amazing Kody Keplinger. She's impressive on SO many levels. Her debut Young Adult novel, THE DUFF, received some serious buzz at Book Expo America and across the internet as well. Film rights have been sold, and I think we can expect some BIG things from this ... youngster. She's a youngster. It's true. Keep reading. 

KODY: Kody Keplinger is a 19 year old college student (SEE???) majoring in writing. She was born and raised in small town Kentucky, but now-a-days she spends most of her time in New York - the state and the city.  Kody is the author of THE DUFF and is currently working on another book to be released by Poppy in Fall 2011.

THE DUFF: Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Favorite comfort food?
I really love bread.  Rolls, breadsticks, cereal . . . if it has carbs, it makes me feel better . . . at least until I see the scale.
Favorite game?
I LOVE beach volleyball - you know, when you use a beach ball instead of a real volleyball?  So fun!  And a great work out.
Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?
They don't even MAKE a sunscreen strong enough to keep my pasty skin from burning! Yikes. 
Beach or lake? Boat or shore?
The lake - Kentucky Lake or Kyuga Lake in Ithaca, NY. both are lovely. I'm a shore girl, too. 
Air conditioning or open windows?
You kidding me? I"m a southern girl. AC is pretty much needed to SURVIVE!!!
Favorite summer drink?
I love iced sweet tea. I live up north now so its hard to come by - these people don't now what REAL sweet tea is!! - but when I can get it, its the best summer drink ever.
Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Tough one.  I LOVE Truth or Dare but nothing gives me chills like a good ghost story.  So I"ll go ghost story on this one.
Truth? Or dare?
Always "truth."  I"m a big baby and terrified of dares.
What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
I"m thinking Cobra Starship right now.  "Hot Mess" seems like a great Fort song to me.
What movie would you bring to watch?
Cruel Intentions!!!
That DVD goes everywhere with me - no joke.
Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
I"m gonna go with James Franco here.
Wait, you've SEEN him right?
'Nuff said.
Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Neither.  I know this makes me inhuman, but I actually hate marshmallows.  Like . . . a lot.
Awake all night or first one to sleep?
I'm always the last to fall asleep. It's a talent we writers seem to have.
If awake all night, practical joke or no? 
None. I"m the type who thinks "Oh, I could do this to her! Or this!" but is always too afraid the person will wake up to actually do anything.  Told you - big baby.
If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
I"m gonna go with J. K. Rowling - because the last 3 books in the Harry Potter series were YA, I think. And I'd make her tell me the stories of Ron and Hermione post-Hogwarts. I was a HUGE Ron/Hermione shipper and I demand to now how their life went after the big kiss in the last book.
Thank you so much for visiting The Fort, Kody! I can't wait to read THE DUFF. Keep your eye on Kody's blog for your chance to win a signed, finished copy of THE DUFF!


  1. I'm looking forward to reading The Duff! It's close to the top on my To Read pile. lol Kody is amazing! I love seeing younger authors out there. I could never have imagined being a published author in my teens. Great mascot for the fort. *snickers*

  2. YAY Kody! The DUFF is simply amazing.

    Oh, and James Franco is, too. *swoon*

  3. I love your fort. Like major.

    And I adore Kody! So sweet and funny. I don't blame her for the marshmallows one bit. They are kind of weird. And The Duff was fantastic! I'm so grateful I had an opportunity to read it when I did.

    Loved your interview, Myra!

  4. This book is showing up everywhere and I can't wait to read it!

  5. Yay! Someone else who hates marshmallows!

    That totally makes up for the fact that you're 19 and already know what you want to do with your life and how to go about doing it. :)

  6. I'm hearing about this book all over the net and now I know why! Kody is awesome! And I LOVE her choice of mascots. DUFF is going on my to buy list!

  7. Great interview, Myra. I really enjoyed getting to know Kody. She sounds very cool and nice. I'm looking forward to reading The Duff.


Tell us everything: