Friday in the Fort with Brenna Yovanoff

SO excited to welcome Brenna Yovanoff to The FORT today! Brenna is a complete sweetheart, and her debut, THE REPLACEMENT, is one of the creepiest books I've come across in a looooooong time. I enjoyed it, and I hope you will, too! Follow the blog and fill out the form below to enter to win a copy below!

About Brenna: I'm good at soccer, violent video games, and making very flaky pie pastry.

I'm bad at dancing, making decisions, and inspiring confidence as an authority figure. I suspect this is because I am short, and also terrible at sounding as though I have any idea what I'm talking about.
I was homeschooled until I was fifteen, which has probably affected my world view in ways I can't fathom.
Also, I really, really like parentheses. (Really.)

About THE REPLACEMENT: Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement—left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with an oddly intriguing girl named Tate. But when Tate’s baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

Favorite comfort food?
Chicken and dumplings.

Favorite game?
Fall is perfect for soccer and perfect for touch football, and for jumping in leaves.

Flannel, fleece or Snuggie?
Flannel, definitely.  Flannel shirt, flannel pajamas, flannel sheets—flannel everything! 

If Snuggie, which color?
How about a nice deep purple? 

Fluffy socks or slippers?
I like slippers, because they are more dignified.  Except when I lose one, which is always.

Favorite fall drink?
Egg nog chai, which is the most delicious hot beverage I've ever tasted.  Even more than coffee.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Ghost story. 

Truth? Or dare?

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Lola Black, because it's the best kind of music to rock out to while jumping on the furniture. 

What movie would you bring to watch?
Heathers.  That movie kind of raised me (meaning absolutely no disrespect to my parents), and also made high school seem remarkably anticlimactic once I got there. 

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
James McAvoy, please.  We could all sit around and listen to his accent. 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Burned black.  And possibly still on fire. 

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Awake aaaaaalllll night.

If awake all night, practical joke or no?
No jokes—I am easily made to feel guilty and would regret it almost immediately.

If you could have any YA author in The Fort, who would it be and what story would you have him/her tell?
I would have Jackson Pearce come and tell us the story of the flasher in the grocery store.  That is probably not what you had in mind when you asked this question, but trust me, you don't want to miss it.


  1. Niiice mascot choice. James McAvoy is so dreamy. I also wouldn't mind sitting around all day (and night) listening to him talk.

  2. Wow, I loved that interview. Now I not only want to read the book, but kinda want to be Brenna's best friend. (In a completely not creepy internet stalker kind of way)

  3. I have been waiting to get my hands on this book since I saw Elana Johnson's review of it. I'm in love with the cover. It's breathtakingly creepy!

    Brenna, you're character naming skills are fantastic. They're very original and the premise of the book is as well. I haven't even read an excerpt and I already sympathize with Mackie. Well done!

    Thank you so much for the giveaway and the interview, Myra.

  4. Great interview. I've been really looking forward to reading this. Thanks for the giveaway!

  5. Nice interview. I really want to read this book.

  6. Any lady who loves James McAvoy rocks in my book. I'm putting The Replacements on my to be read list!

  7. The cover is eye catching and creepy....love it! Chicken and Dumplings sound good right now.

  8. Ooh! Flashers are no fun! I had one on a subway once...yuck.
    On a better note...love this cover. Cannot wait to get my hands on this book!

  9. If Brenna is bringing James McAvoy to the Fort I am there in a heartbeat just sayin!!

    The Replacement was a great read!

  10. How exciting! Also, I do not think anyone would disagree with her choice of James McAvoy.

  11. Reading it next!!! And ooooh James Macavoy!!!! Nice :-D.

  12. I won't enter this time around since I already have this book coming to me. But what an amazing premise, no? So original. But I think I'll have to read it with the lights on!! :P

    Terrific interview. I love your fort, Myra.


Tell us everything: