Friday in the Fort with Michelle Zink

Welcome Michelle Zink to The Fort!

I read PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS last year and was so taken with the language and the mood that the story stayed in my head for weeks. I could barely wait to read GUARDIAN OF THE GATE so I could learn more about Lia and Alice and all their secrets. It's truly an amazing follow up - I LOVE the new characters and settings. Here's more about the series:

PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS: Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents’ deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets. Lia and Alice don’t know whom they can trust. They just know they can’t trust each other.

GUARDIAN OF THE GATE: The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James. Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.

To celebrate the release of GUARDIAN OF THE GATE, you can enter below to win one of three prizes: 
2) a set of gorgeous hairpins and a PotS bookmark  
3) a picture frame and a PotS bookmark. 

And be sure to pick up THE GUARDIAN OF THE GATE, in bookstores this week! 

Favorite comfort food?
Chinese or Thai. I find it comforting to eat with chopsticks. 

Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)?
Without a doubt, Scrabble! And it's no fun unless my eighteen-year-old son leaves the game, threatens to never play again, and then comes back five minutes later. 

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?
SPF 50. I'm not an outdoorsy person. Why pretend?

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?
Either, but definitely on a boat.

Air conditioning or open windows?
Open windows. Unless it's humid and there are bugs. Then A/C, please!

Favorite summer drink?
Unsweetened ice tea. Though a good glass of Sangria always hits the spot in the right company. 

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Ghost storyyyy!

Truth? Or dare?
Depends on who I'm playing with. ;)

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Brand New. Without a doubt the best band EVAR.

What movie would you bring to watch?
The Dark Knight. If it doesn't inspire great storytelling nothing will! 

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
Jason Statham. I know he only dates models, but I like my men British and bad ass. Plus, I'm too old to lust after RPattz without feeling icky. 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Scorched! I'm not a middle of the road kind of girl. 

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Psh! Awake all night. We are the Zinks, after all. :D

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?
Nah. It's all philosophical discussion, epic Scrabble battles, movies, and ice cream. 

If you could have any YA author visit The Fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
Neil Gaiman. I would ask him to tell us about his travels and experiences as human being. He seems like a gracious and fascinating person. 

Thanks for visiting The Fort, Michelle! 

Okay, y'all, fill out the form below to enter to win one of three prize packs! (This contest is open to US residents only!)


  1. Yay MZ! I love her and the Prophecy series. :D I also love this supa fun interview!

  2. Enjoyed the post! And second Jason Statham for ideal male mascot!

  3. I can't wait to read these books. I love books about siblings. I know that's random, but it's me ;)

  4. Yes. Jason Statham FTW. I love Michelle! And both books are AMAZE-ZING. Luuuuurve.

    Thanks for the giveaway, Myra!


  5. 1/2 way through Prophecy of the Sisters...love it! Will definitely read Guardian of the Gate. Thx for the giveaway.

    I wonder if anyone is running out and getting a Jorgumand tattoo??

  6. Very nice interview ! Hahah I so agreee, ghost stories are better than truth or dare!


  7. I would love to read The Prophecy of the Sisters. Great Q and A too. Jason Statham? LOVE!

  8. Just by reading this I am now a huge fan of Michelle's! How can I not be?! A lady who loves Chinese food, scrabble, and Jason Statham is pretty high on my list of fabulous people!

  9. Mmm...good books, scorched marshmallows, and Jason Statham. Yes, please.

  10. Great interview as usual! Love the questions you ask. Scorched marshmallows!!!

  11. I've been meaning to read the Prophecy series.. the more I read about it the high it moves on my TBR pile. I loved the interview questions! They seem to produce more interesting answers than the run of the mill "What's your favorite color" or "When did you know that you wanted to be a writer". Thanks for the giveaway!

  12. While I have not read M. Zink yet, she is on my wishlist. Great interview, she is full of personality and creativity.

  13. http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2771201?shelf=to-read

    Whoops, goodreads link.


Tell us everything: