Friday in the Fort with Kiersten White

Today in The Fort we have the fab Kiersten White! Now, I appreciate a sense of humor as much as the next person. But Kiersten doesn't have a regular sense of humor. Unlike her stature, her humor is SUPER-SIZED.


I am in the middle of reading her HIGH-larious debut, PARANORMALCY, and I can't recommend it enough. It's fresh, original, funny, and available everywhere books are sold (on August 31st)! Read Kiersten's interview below, and then enter to win your own finished copy of PARANORMALCY. You won't bleeping regret it.

Click here to read the first chapter! 

About PARANORMALCY : Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

About Kiersten:  Kiersten White has one tall husband and two small children.  She lives near the ocean but writes books and blogs instead of hanging out on the beach.  Lame, sure, but at least her skin will stay nice.

Favorite comfort food?  
Chocolate, of course, and there's something wrong with anyone who feels otherwise.

Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)? 
No Bears Are Out Tonight.

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?  
SPF 50 for sure.

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?  
Beach and shore or lake and boat.

Air conditioning or open windows?  
Air conditioning!  I'm all about sweat-avoidance.

Favorite summer drink?  
Lemonade with fresh mint leaves crushed and floating inside.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?  
Ghost story!

Truth? Or dare?  
Truth--it was always less humiliating than dare!

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?  
Snow Patrol if we're feeling mellow, hellogoodbye for talking about boys.

What movie would you bring to watch?  
Penelope--hello James McAvoy's eyes!!

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?  
I'm gonna have to go with James McAvoy again, because he seems nice and when all else fails we could just make him talk to us and listen to the pretty, pretty accent.

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?  
Lightly toasted.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?  
Awake all night. Sleeping is for when you're bored.

If awake all night, practical joke or no? 
Practical joke, but nothing permanent or mean.  Perhaps hacking their twitter accounts and sending rabid tweets to famous people.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell? 
Oh, you know I'm going to pick Neil Gaiman, of course! And this is another case of not caring what he says, just enjoying how he says it!

Thanks for visiting Kiersten in The Fort! Fill out the form below to enter to win a finished copy of PARANORMALCY. Your name and email serve as one entry. Extra entries are below. 

Do it, bleep it!


  1. This is just all KINDS of awesome!!!! I can't wait to check Paranormalcy out!

  2. Hi
    I have filled the form but please enter me only if this is International
    Thank you

  3. I cant wait for this! ah

    And SPF 50 is the only way for us book nerds to be

  4. Now let's all imagine 'Oh, bleep!' in James McAvoy's accent.

  5. I bleeping LOVE this book!!! I'd so come and enjoy story w/ James McAvoy. lol

  6. James McAvoy is a good choice. I can't wait to meet Kiersten!

  7. Can't wait for Paranormalcy to be released. Count me in this giveaway, please!

    The lemonade with mint leaves sounds sooo good!

  8. Liyana--Oh bleep in James' McAvoy's accent? I always knew I loved you...

    Myra--Thanks for letting me hang out in the fort! And EXCELLENT picture-usage.

  9. hmmmm I just tried to comment but it didn't go through. Let's try this again...

  10. I can't wait for Paranormalcy. Thanks so much for the giveaway!

  11. Awesome Contest I really want to read this book. Thanks for the contest.

  12. Book sounds awesome and who doesn't love free stuff:)

  13. I love Kiersten! She is soo funny...and yes, I would love to have Neil Gaiman come and tell me stories. His voice is great for storytelling, even beyond his own!

  14. Oh man I've been waiting for this one! Love the concept!

  15. Love that interview! She's so funny! :)

  16. omg! i love james mcavoy!! and the movie penelope as well!! thanks for this awesome contest!!

  17. Awesome interview! Kiersten is hilarious!

  18. This book sounds really good. I'm looking forward to reading it! (Neat interview idea, by the way!)

  19. Paranormalcy!!!! Awesome fort day! Helloooooo James McAvoy!

  20. +JMJ+

    Oh, wow! I agree with almost 100% of Kiersten's answers!

    We part ways when it comes to James McAvoy, however . . . =P

  21. that picture of james mcavoy is HOT!

    i have to admit, i am a sun worshipper, if only that reading while laying on he beach is one of the all time best activities.

  22. This book looks great! Can't ait to read it

  23. Makayla Livingston8/29/2010 01:31:00 AM

    Awesome interview and Giveaway!

  24. Hi, Myra!

    I tried to do this DAYS ago, but my computer wouldn't let me login or tweet or ANYTHING! It was so maddening.

    Great contest.

    Thanks a lot for being so much fun.


    Cynde's Got The Write Stuff

  25. I've been wanting to read this one for a while!! And even though Kiersten thinks there's something wrong with those of us who prefer lemon bars to chocolate, I haven't changed my mind.

    *munches a lemon bar and dares Kiersten to say anything*

  26. CJ Redwine--ANYTHING!


  27. Cheeky wench. I've decided I love your style and will now be buying your book.



Tell us everything: