1. Hot Heroes. I don't think there are enough words in the English language to express my love for Jace. And Simon. But specifically Jace. As a matter of fact, a speechless stance is probably the best to take anyway. If I'm not talking I can concentrate more fully on wiping away the drool.
2. Strong Heroines. Isabelle is definitely a strong female character, and so is Clary, but Clary makes some mistakes. We get to watch her grow over the course of the books, make her way, come into her own. She makes good choices - she makes poor choices. She's relatable. She's feisty. I want her for a friend. She doesn't make me drool like Jace does, but that's what makes him special. Wait. We're talking about the ladies right now. *eyes number one longingly*
3. Secondary Characters. There's not one token character anywhere in this entire series. All are multi-dimensional, richly drawn, vital, and each one serves at least a dual purpose. Even the cat.
4. Setting/imagery/worldbuiling/kick ass writing. You can see the lights of the Manhattan skyline and smell the scent of crisp apples and night blooming flowers. You can feel the weight of the weapon in your hand, the bass thumping against the walls of the club, the pressure of the stele as it draws the rune on your skin, and the crack in your heart as it begins to break. Whether New York City or Idris, you are THERE.
5. The covers.
6. The fans. Y'all know I love the Mundie Moms. The blog, the forum, the women behind it all. With such an amazing fan base, how could the books be anything but spectacular? And I also love that the first time I met Victoria Schwab, we tried to talk about the series and neither of us could manage it without crying. Because we LOVE IT.
7. Cassie. She's a doll. She is vigilant about interacting with fans. She answers questions frequently on Twitter, has a Google group that she's very actively involved in, and she blogs on Live Journal as well. You can get more information about how to connect with her on her website.
8. The graphic novels! TH3RD WORLD will be publishing The Mortal Instruments as comic books in monthly installments first, then bind them together as graphic novels - one for each book. Savvy fans were treated to a sampler on Free Comic Book Day. Here's the cover from that sampler:
9. The Prequel. The Infernal Devices kicks off with CLOCKWORK ANGEL on August 31st. Come back next week to see the TEN REASONS I LOVED CLOCKWORK ANGEL! For now, here's the cover:
10. BEST NEWS EVER: THERE ARE MORE ON THE WAY! Cassie announced last night that in addition to the already anticipated THE CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS, due out this spring, there will be two more books in The Mortal Instruments series, making the total six in all. The titles are:
THE CITY OF LOST SOULS
THE CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE!!!!!!!
And those are the top ten reasons I love THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series by the lovely Cassie Clare! Here's what the rest of the Bookanistas are up to: