7/09/2010

Friday in the Fort with Tricia Rayburn

I'm so excited to welcome Tricia Rayburn to The Fort today! I started SIREN late one night when I was at the beach and I actually woke up at six in the morning to finish it. On vacation. Yes, it's that good. SIREN has a nice guy, some bad girls and some seriously creepy secrets. Here, I'll let Tricia tell you. (And make sure to enter to win a SIGNED, FINISHED copy of SIREN!)

About Siren:
Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge.  That is until Justine goes cliff diving one night near the family's vacation house in Winter Harbor, Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day. 

Vanessa's parents want to work through the tragedy by returning to their everyday lives back in Boston, but Vanessa can't help feeling that her sister's death was more than an accident.  After discovering that Justine never applied to colleges, and that she was secretly in a relationship with longtime family friend Caleb Carmichael, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor to seek some answers.

But when Vanessa learns that Caleb has been missing since Justine's death, she and Caleb's older brother, Simon, join forces to try to find him, and in the process, their childhood friendship blossoms into something more.  

Soon it's not just Vanessa who is afraid.  All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes home to a string of fatal, water-related accidents . . . in which all the victims are found grinning from ear to ear.  

As Vanessa and Simon probe further into the connections between Justine's death and the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance, and that will change her life forever.

About Tricia: 
Tricia Rayburn is the author of Ruby's Slippers and the Maggie Bean trilogy.  Despite fearing all creatures of the deep, she's still drawn to the water and makes her home in a seaside town on eastern Long Island.  Visit her online at www.triciarayburn.com.

Favorite comfort food?
This tends to vary from one day to the next!  Today I could really go for some cheesy nachos with fresh guacamole.

Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)?
Then: Red Light, Green Light.  Now: Ping Pong!

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?
I do enjoy a good sun session every now and then, but always with multiple applications of SPF 30+!  

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?
It's practically impossible to choose between beach and lake.  But, since it was such a huge part of my childhood—and now plays quite a large role in my adulthood—I'll have to go with beach.  And definitely shore over boat.  That one's easy!

Air conditioning or open windows?
Always open windows unless the sweltering East Coast humidity leaves no other choice.

Favorite summer drink (lemonade, iced sweet tea, Kool Aid, be specific)?
Thanks to many a summer afternoon spent at my Aunt Marion's pool, iced tea always tastes like summer in a cup.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Truth or Dare.

Truth? Or dare?
Just like in my pre-teen/teen days, I REALLY want to say dare...but truth.  Because I'm still a chicken.  

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Pete Yorn! 

What movie would you bring to watch?
Pretty in Pink.  Also, even though I might have to sneak it in since it doesn't really qualify as a movie, Gilmore Girls.  :)

Who's the ideal male mascot for the fort and why?
I was going to suggest Taylor Kitsch or Neil Patrick Harris, but I see they're already popular mascot nominees!  So I'll go with Jason Segel.  I think he'd make us laugh.  Or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, preferably as his character in (500) Days of Summer.  Or John Krasinski, either as himself or Jim Halpert.  Maybe we could have a team instead of a mascot?

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
The crispier, the better!

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
First one to sleep.

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?
No time for jokes, too busy dreaming!

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
Ann M. Martin.  I'd ask where she thinks Kristy, Mary Anne, Dawn, Stacey, Claudia and the rest of the gang would be 25 years after Kristy's Great Idea!

Thank you so much for visiting! Tricia is giving away a SIGNED, FINISHED copy of SIREN. Just follow the rules below!

TO ENTER:
1. You must be a follower of my blog
2. You must have a mailing address in the US or Canada
3. You must fill out the form below
- New followers who fill out the contest form will get one (1) entry.
- Old followers who fill out the contest form will get two (2) entries

For EXTRA entries:
- If you leave a comment on today's post you get one (1) extra entry. 
- If you write an actual post about this contest on your blog/website you get five (5) additional entries. 
- If you tweet a link to the contest you get one (1) additional entry.



25 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about this but just haven't had the chance to read it yet!

    Also I fully support the idea of a Team of Mascots! That. Would. Rock!

    Thanks for stopping by the fort!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best books to read are the ones you would never think to buy yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM...looks like Tricia and I have the same taste when it comes to food. Nachos with guacamole? So good. Crispy, burnt marshmellows? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Can't wait to read the book!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an amazing book!
    Margay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the interview, have heard of the book but never read a proper description of it before now. Sounds interesting and it's going on my wishlist! Thank you for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, I love how YA is branching out to include so many other paranormal creatures: banshees, selkies, and now sirens. This one is definitely going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jason Segel. He is just so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the "team instead of a mascot" thing. John Krasinski and NPH FTW!

    spongyman1026@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I would still resuggest Taylor Kitsch, because he really is one of the hottest men ALIVE. Yep. :)

    I've really been looking forward to Siren. I only just discovered it a few weeks ago, but now I can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the interview! I'd love to read this book. Oh, and Jason Segel looks adorable in that pic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really unique and interesting. I'm adding to my 'to buy' list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the ideas of a team of Mascots!!

    And I second having Ann M. Martin pay a visit to the Fort. I loved the Baby-Sitters Club series and it would be awesome to hear her ideas about the members as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great interview this book sounds so good nice giveaway thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOOH! I would also love to know where the infamous babysitters ended up!! I always wonder if authors think about that or if they are just forever teens...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, I have heard awesome things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hadn't thought about it, but I really would like to know where the Babysitters' Club all ended up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really looking forward to this book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a great book. I love the cover. Sounds like a great mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw this in the bookstore the other day and added it to my wishlist. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, this Bookanista thing is getting out of hand - I am swamped with books I want to read! Siren sounds scary and good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved the interview, from the questions to the answers. I always liked the cover for Siren a lot, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview! Super excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: