Bookanista Thursday: Ten Reasons I Loved Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
Now, for the top Ten Reasons I Loved SHADOW HILLS by Anastasia Hopcus:
1. This is not your average paranormal. Part of the reason I adore Egmont USA (and yes, I'm talking about my publishing house) is that their paranormals contain all the things we love about the genre, but there's always a bit of a twist. (See CANDOR, SIREN, THE DARK DIVINE, THE RISE OF RENEGADE X, just to name a few.) SHADOW HILLS is no exception.
2. Place. SHADOW HILLS has a spooky and extremely compelling setting. The town is fully realized, the community is rich.
3. Devinish Prep. I groove on boarding school stories, and Devinish Prep is full of secrets. And CONTRABAND.
4. Boys. Oh yes, Miss Anastasia knows how to write them. The good ones, AND the bad ones.
5. Story world. It's twisty. It's complicated. It's well-researched. It's excellent, and leaves the door wide open for a sequel. *pokes Egmont USA* *wants a sequel*
6. A diverse cast of characters. SHADOW HILLS offers us everything. Rich kids, wild kids, computer geeks, solid citizens, adults (there are some ADULTS!), siblings, secret keepers. Someone for everyone to identify with.
7. Humor. There's one scene that made me laugh SO VERY HARD. I could see it in my mind, and it was so well written I wanted to read it out loud. "He had chili for lunch."
8. "Vulcan mind meld." That's a direct quote.
9. The abilities. This paranormal pushes the envelope of science fiction in the most lovely way for me. The abilities that key players possess aren't your average abilities - you've not seen them presented in this way.
10. Anastasia. I've loved watching Anastasia revel in her book release. I've never met her, but I have a feeling she's SHINY - as in Shiny Happy (see R.E.M.) not Shiny Oily. Her joy is contagious, and she makes her readers feel like they're on the journey with her.
Those are the top ten reasons I loved SHADOW HILLS! Did you read it? What did you love?