7/15/2010

Bookanista Thursday: Ten Reasons I Loved Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Disclaimer: SIREN is written by fellow Egmont USA author Tricia Rayburn, and was sent to me by lovely assistant editor, Alison Weiss.



Now that the particulars are out of the way: I LOVED SIREN.  Here are ten reasons why!

1. New creatures. No vamps or weres. Just sirens, not mermaids. No Ariel and Sebastian the Crab singing Under the Sea here.

2. There's a good boy! Not a bad boy! And he doesn't want to use the heroine as an ingredient to make his dinner!

3. Present parents. Maybe they're a wee bit distracted, but they have good reasons.

4. Spectacular setting. I read SIREN while I was at the beach, and I grew increasingly nervous about going in the water. I'm serious.

5. Really compelling subplots. The secondary characters aren't forgotten, and the potential for exploration of their stories is wide open. *waits for sequel*

6. Our heroine, Vanessa, is not hyper aware of herself. By this, I mean she thinks about other people and their problems. She takes steps to solve them. She has her own issues, but she overcomes them.

7. The sister, Justine. Wow. The sister. Discovering the mystery behind her death drives the plot, so she's not present, but she's present. Read it. You'll get me.

8. Well-written. Tricia has a middle-grade series, Maggie Bean, and I think she'll make quite a splash in her jump to YA.

9. THAT COVER. I'm lusting. I am.

10. Tricia. She's a sweetheart, y'all. She really loves what she does. That always makes a difference for me.

So there are ten reasons I loved SIREN. AND NOW, you have a chance to win a signed, finished copy. Check out my interview from last Friday with Tricia here and enter to win!

Here's what the rest of the Bookanistas are up to today:



11 comments:

  1. That cover is WAY incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it. Now I want to "dive" in! (It's been calling to me from the bookshelf)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I love the idea of sirens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous cover! I can't wait to read this, but I'll be sure not to do it at the beach O_O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I love every single one of your reasons. I totally, TOTALLY need to read this. STAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, love the top ten thing. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like another good one! Momma needs some new books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god, WANTWANTWANTWANTWANT! My TBR list is getting longer by the day, and I have no idea when I'll have time to read everything on it, but...dang. This one gets bumped to the top. WANT.

    (Did I mention that I want it?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i ma dying to read this book. wanted to get it at BEA but they closed the line b/c they ran out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met* Tricia at ALA and nabbed a signed copy of her book... She was so freaking sweet (I heart her) and I also can't WAIT to read Siren. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to bring it to the beach!

    *met, stalked... tomato, tomahto

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: