Friday in the Fort with Shannon Delany

Today in the Fort we welcome Shannon Delany, author of 13 TO LIFE! To celebrate Shannon's visit, I'm giving away a copy of her book. I'm trying a new way to enter contests here on the blog, so see details at the bottom of the post. 

About 13 TO LIFE:
Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.  It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid…

More about Shannon:
Since she was a child Shannon Delany has written stories, beginning writing in earnest when her grandmother fell unexpectedly ill. In 2008 her greatly abbreviated version of 13 to Life (written in just five weeks) won the grand prize in the first-ever cell phone novel contest in the western world through Textnovel.com. Previously a teacher and now a farmer raising heritage livestock, Shannon lives and writes in upstate New York and enjoys traveling to talk to people about most anything.

Favorite comfort food?
Currently it's Thai sweet rice and fruit. But an old family favorite I recently discovered is Pennsylvania Dutch milk pie (it's the poor man's answer for his sweet tooth!).

Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)?
Volleyball! But I've been loving watching my son play t-ball. I was always awful at anything ball and bat related so I appreciate it more.

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?
SPF 500. I go straight from freckled to fried.

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?
Beach and boat. I learned basic sailing concepts when I was a kid (Dad loved his small sailboat). And I love the beach early in the morning and near sunset. High noon is fry noon for me (see previous question).

Air conditioning or open windows?
How hot is it out? Are there bees or biting flies? LOL! I prefer open windows (love the scents of summer--until the pollen count kicks up and my allergies kick in ;).

Favorite summer drink?
Thanks to my mother's Southern background, sweet tea is the drink of choice (that and that an ancestor of mine was rumored to have died in a lemonade-related tragedy--okay, really it was a lemonade plus stubborness to the point of stupidity sort of tragedy, but lemonade was present). 

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Ghost story! The best of those combines things that are close kin to both truth and dare!

Truth? Or dare?
Wuh-oh. As a fiction author writing under a pseudonym I'm thinking dare is more in line with my normal mode of thinking. Truth can get, umm, colorful with me?

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Pietr says Snow Patrol. And snow and fort--yep. Totally works for me.

Who's the ideal male mascot (wow that sounds sexist) for the fort and why?
LOL! I'm choosing one of my 13 to Life characters, because even if he thought the question sounded a bit sexist, he wouldn't mind. ;-) Maximilian Rusakova. He's a secondary character who keeps trying to steal the spotlight. He's got a sense of humor, is a heck of a flirt and is equal doses fun and trouble in a nice-looking skin. 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
The goal is always lightly toasted, the reality? Always a bit different (and too often overdone).

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
On deadline I'm up late. It's quiet then, so the characters in my head can be more clearly heard. Otherwise, as someone on a farm--"early to bed and early to rise."

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?
No. I'm absolutely no fun. Really. Although there was that time... No. No fun at all.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
Oh! I'm choosing an author who I was fortunate to have blurb my book, has a great sense of humor, a great speaking voice and presence and is making the move into YA--Ann Aguirre--keep an eye out for her, her upcoming novel Razorland is great!

Thanks for visiting, Shannon!

Okay guys, for several reasons I'm moving to Google Docs for contest entries. Here are the rules to enter:

1. You must be a follower of my blog 
2. You must have a mailing address in the US or Canada
3. You must fill out the form below

- New followers who fill out the contest form will get one (1) entry.
- Old followers who fill out the contest form will get two (2) entries

For EXTRA entries:
- If you leave a comment on today's post you get one (1) extra entry 
- If you write an actual post about this contest on your blog/website you get five (5) additional entries. 
- If you tweet a link to the contest you get two (2) additional entries.


  1. I have been trying to get my hands on this book for sometime now.
    Love this interview! So much fun.

    --Courtney Rae--

  2. I really want this book! Great giveaway!

  3. I love Shannon! Plus, Ghost stories FTW!

  4. I have been hearing quite a bit of hype about this title. It sounds like a great read.

  5. 13 to Life has come out with some outstanding reviews and I'm so sold. I can't wait to read this book!

    -Lisa B.

  6. Sounds like a fun book, thanks for sharing the love!

  7. I'm very excited to read this one! Another great Friday in the Fort!!

  8. Thanks so much!! I really really want to read this book :)

  9. How fun! Thanks for sharing all that Shannon. I just picked up 13 To Life and am so excited to finally be reading it! You don't need to enter me in the contest Myra. I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for an excellent interview with a great writer.

  10. This book sounds so good can't wait to read it great giveaway thank you!

  11. great contest - thanks for hosting!

  12. I love learning something new about authors!

  13. I really need to get my hands on a copy of this one!


Tell us everything: