Friday in the Fort with Sarah Rees Brennan

Have you ever chased a teenager down an aisle in a bookstore while shoving a book into her hand? 

I have (and I didn't get arrested). 

The book was THE DEMON'S LEXICON by Sarah Rees Brennan (and the teenager bought it, thank you very much).  

Sarah is a complete charmer and a most excellent writer. If you aren't following her on Twitter, you're missing a PAR-TAY. She makes me GIGGLE. DAILY. More about Sarah:

Sarah Rees Brennan was born and still lives in Dublin: she couldn't live anywhere else in Ireland because she has a fear of cows. She lived briefly in London and New York, on her eternal quest to escape the cows. Find out more about her on her website 
www.sarahreesbrennan.com or her blog www.livejournal.com/users/sarahtales.

The Demon's Lexicon and The Demon's Covenant, the first two books of the imaginatively titled Demon's Lexicon trilogy, are about beautifullest men, bravest ladies, swords, magicians, demons, betrayal, loss and true love - family love as well as romantic. She hopes you like them!

Favorite comfort food?
Cheese. Just add cheese to any meal and it becomes luxurious and consoling. (And fattening.

Favorite game?
I enjoy Pass the Parcel. My mama and I had a music-based system for cheating... uh... but I must SAY NO MORE. 

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?
Sun worshipper! Though in Ireland, sometimes this means that I worry my god has forsaken me. 

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?
Boat on a lake! But this may be because I grew up in Ireland by the sea shore, and I crave variety! 

Air conditioning or open windows?
In Ireland, we rarely have the need for either... 

Favorite summer drink?
I like lemonade, but I don't think I could choose just one summer drink! There's orange juice. Coke for the times you need caffeine. (No Diet or Coke Zero, that is WIMPING OUT.) And sangria and Marilyn Monroes, for uh... a time when I was not a responsible YA author who obviously never drinks... 

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?
Truth or Dare! I live for adventure.

Truth? Or dare?
Dare! I live for adventure. Remind me to tell you about the time I jumped off the pier... or the time I jumped onto that nun... My adventures are mainly about jumping. 

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?
Vienna Teng! She has such a beautiful voice.

What movie would you bring to watch?
Um. Um. Maybe 'Let the Right One In.' Such an excellent vampire movie! And it makes up for me rejecting ghost stories earlier... 

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?
So hard to choose! I mean there's Jake Gyllenhall, for the... and Johnny Depp, for the immortal beauty, and then... but I think I'll go with James McAvoy, because he's my side of the ocean, talented and a cutie pie. Europe REPRESENT at The Fort! 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?
Lightly toasted and then eaten with ketchup. (IT'S DELICIOUS. STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT.)

Awake all night or first one to sleep?
Awake allllll night, baby. 

If awake all night, practical joke or no?
I once thought the whole leaving a girl's hand in water to make her pee was unambitious, so I poured water in her ear. Result: not hilarious, still sorry about that. 

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?
Diana Wynne Jones, and, the story of her life! Failing that, Stephenie Meyer and the weirdest vampire-related thing that ever happened to her. I feel that would DEFINITELY make up for the missing ghost story.  

YAY SARAH! Thanks for visiting The Fort! Okay readers, be a blog follower and comment below to win a copy of The Demon's Covenant!

And also? #TeamNick or, if all else fails, #TeamDirtyHot!

Good day.


  1. Marshmallows and ketchup? O_o Ewwwww.


  2. I LOVED The Demon's Covenant! I know it doesn't seem possible, but I thought it might have actually been better than the first book. Sarah, you amaze me and give me something to strive for. And oh yeah, #TeamNick all the way!

  3. Team Nick without a doubt. Poor misunderstood demon that he is.
    I love Sarah's humor and read her blog regularly. Please don't enter me because I've got both books and would like someone else to win (a virtual chase down the bookstore aisle).

  4. LOL! Sarah is hilarious! I highly recommend going to see her in person at her book signing. You will laugh non stop! *please don't enter me to win the book* It's a brilliant read.

    Now that Sarah is in the fort, when do we get to have beach party, complete w/ a sand castle. There's all sorts of amazing people in the fort.

    As always, love your posts Myra! I think next week Rob should be in the fort! OH wait, do an Edward and Jacob post. lol

  5. Her books is AMAZING. (I haven't read the second yet.) It's one of the only teen books that my mom adored.

  6. I TOTALLY agree with the Coke comment. Go big or go home!

  7. Love these interviews!
    I am so with her on the cheese and Coke!
    I do love ketchup and I do love marshmallows. Dare I try to mix them?!

  8. Mashmallows W/ KETCHUP? o.O
    I totally agree with the cheese comment though!!!

  9. Marshmallows and Ketchup sounds very interesting!

  10. These books are on my TBR list so I don't have a team. But who can resist TeamDirtyHot??

  11. Oh, I absolutely LOVED her book!


    ketchep and marshmellows? Um.

    NOOO D:

    On an unrelated note, I'd like to live where she does. Just sayin'.

  12. I am sooo jealous with where she lives, totally. Air conditioner isn't a consideration? So cool. I don't know what team I'm on, I do like Nick though, poor guy.

  13. I adore Sarah!!!!! James McV, marshmallows AND ketchup?!?! Would you like a large Coke with that order??? Yes, please!!!!!

  14. hahahahaha LMAO!!!! Love this!
    Johnny Depp... inmortal beauty, so true

    PS. Marshmallows and ketchup... what? I guess I have to try it.

  15. She is so right about cheese! I add cheese to everything and it makes it that much yummier. I heart coke too. Diet Coke isn't really even coke, lol. Thanks for the contest!

  16. Almost done with Demon's Lexicon and I am so lurving Nick! Can't wait to see moaaarr! XD BUT marshmallow with ketchup? Oh, my poor sacred marshmallows...! D:

  17. I bought Demon's Lexicon then my sister sent it to me, so win for my roommate. I took my copy with me to the hospital, but discovered, unlike talking, reading is something best done while NOT on morphine. In any case, loved the interview and want to hear more about jumping!

  18. I always habor this fantasy that whenever I'm at my local bookstore, an author will be there incognito, and point me towards a book of theres, which I will buy, and find a signature in later. Reading that you have BEEN that author, I have a newfound faith in that fantasy.

    Also, I've read the Demon's Lexicon (and, as expected, LOVED IT), but haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of Covenant. I'd love to win a copy!

  19. Oh, God. I meant theirs* in the previous comment.
    /hangs head in shame.

  20. I will admit I'm still stuck on the part about marshmallows and ketchup. And I fear my family will think I'm crazy because now I have to try this...

  21. Intrigued by the marshmallows. Great interview!

    jpetroroy at gmail dot com

  22. I want to read this book soooooo bad! :)

    lchardesty at yahoo dot com

  23. I have heard such great things about these 2 books that I can't wait to read them!

    Please enter me.

    stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

  24. whoa it's hard like deciding between ice cream flavours vanilla or chocolate arggh . Unfortunately i didn't read the first one yet but i bought it so i'm team nobody or dirty hot ;p Please enter me as international!

  25. I can't wait to read The Demon's Covenant! Count me in!

    -Lisa B.


Tell us everything: