5/28/2010

Friday in the Fort with Kristina McBride

Sorry for the lateness of the post - we've been traveling and I've had NO INTERNET ACCESS via computer for a WEEK. Freeing, yet also stressful! Today we welcome fellow Egmonter Kristina McBride to The Fort. Her book, The Tension of Opposites, released Wednesday. Happy Release Week, Kristina! Here's more about her debut:

What happens when your best friend is kidnapped - and returns home two years later? 

Summary: Two years ago Noelle disappeared. Two long years of no leads, no word, no body. Since the abduction, Tessa, her best friend, has lived in a state of suspended animation. She has some friends, but keeps them distant. Some interests, but she won’t allow herself to become passionate about them. And guys? She can’t get close—she knows what it is like to really lose someone she cared for. 
And then, one day, the telephone rings. Noelle is alive. And maybe, just maybe, Tess can start to live again, too. 

A haunting psychological thriller taken straight from the headlines, The Tension of Opposites is a striking debut that explores the emotional aftermath a kidnapping can have on the victim, and on the people she left behind. 

Bio: Kristina McBride, a former high-school English teacher and yearbook advisor, wrote The Tension of Opposites in response to the safe return of a child who was kidnapped while riding his bike to a friend’s house. She lives in Ohio with her husband and two young children. 
 
Favorite comfort food? Chocolate. It doesn’t matter the form – M&M’s, Hershey Kisses, ice cream – as long as there are no nuts involved. 
 
Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)? Ghosts in the Graveyard. 
 
Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50? Serious sun worshipper. I know, I know, not healthy. But I can’t help it. 

Beach or lake? Boat or shore? Beach – Boat or Shore – as long as there is sun! 
 
Air conditioning or open windows? Open windows. But I have allergies, so it can’t happen often. 

Favorite summer drink? Ice water. I am never without water. Ever. 
 
Ghost story or Truth or Dare? Ghost Story! I love a good scare! 
 
Truth? Or dare? Truth. 

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack? I have an extreme love for Dave Matthews Band & John Mayer. 

What movie would you bring to watch? Cruel Intentions. LOVE it! 
 
Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why? River Phoenix – think Running on Empty – I just think he’d be lovely to look at. If our mascot must be living, I’d go for River’s brother, Joaquin.  
 
Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp? Burned to a crisp. 

Awake all night or first one to sleep? Awake all night.  
 
If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)? No pranks – I was never a mean girl. 

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell? Christopher Pike is one of my faves from childhood – I’d just want him to tell us something creepy!

Thanks for visiting The Fort! Kristina is giving away three five-packs of The Tension of Opposites bookmarks. Just be a blog follower (button on the bottom) and comment to win!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't WAIT to read this book. The trailer was absolutely fantastic, and I love her blog.
    I'm a follower, too. (Oh dear. Saying that seems to go against so much of my high school counseling programs wishes.)
    Eh, oh well. They just don't understand cyber space.
    Thanks for such a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghost in the graveyard! I love that game! :D
    I am also happy to finally have someone say sun worshipper. I was starting to feel like I'm the only person who likes sun... I'm also very excited for the book. I watched the trailer and it looks pretty dang amazing!

    Great interview! (Also, I'm a follower. HintHint.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. River Phoenix....mmmm I totally had a crush on him! There I admitted it. *what* lol

    I can't wait to read this book. I have heard so many great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy book birthday Kristina! I can't wait to get my hands on The Tension Of Opposites, it sounds intriguing. Great choice of mascots by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: