4/30/2010

Friday in the Fort with Chelsea Campbell

Today we welcome Chelsea Campbell to The Fort! I am reading her debut, THE RISE OF RENEGADE X (Egmont USA), and I'm loving the humor, the action and Damien. His voice is superb, and Chelsea's story is fresh and fast. Fans of superheroes (and villians) will love this book (and so did Disney Original Films - think High School Musical and Camp Rock - it's been optioned for film!). Be a blog follower and comment to win a copy of the ARC before the hardback releases on May 11th!

Chelsea grew up in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot. And then rains some more. She finished her first novel when she was twelve, sent it out, and promptly got rejected. Since then she's written many more novels, earned a degree in Latin and Ancient Greek, become an obsessive knitter and fiber artist, and started a collection of glass grapes. Chelsea is a pop culture fangirl at heart and can often be found rewatching episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, leveling up in World of Warcraft, or spending way too much time on Livejournal and Facebook. Visit her online at www.chelseamcampbell.com. See the book trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aANcrlKB5s

THE RISE OF RENEGADE X (from Amazon): Sixteen-year-old Damien Locke has a plan: major in messing with people at the local supervillain university and become a professional evil genius, just like his supervillain mom. But when he discovers the shameful secret she's been hiding all these years, that the one-night stand that spawned him was actually with a superhero, everything gets messed up. His father's too moral for his own good, so when he finds out Damien exists, he actually wants him to come live with him and his goody-goody superhero family. Damien gets shipped off to stay with them in their suburban hellhole, and he has only six weeks to prove he's not a hero in any way, or else he's stuck living with them for the rest of his life, or until he turns eighteen, whichever comes first.

To get out of this mess, Damien has to survive his dad's "flying lessons" that involve throwing him off the tallest building in the city--despite his nearly debilitating fear of heights--thwarting the eccentric teen scientist who insists she's his sidekick, and keeping his supervillain girlfriend from finding out the truth. But when Damien uncovers a dastardly plot to turn all the superheroes into mindless zombie slaves, a plan hatched by his own mom, he discovers he cares about his new family more than he thought. Now he has to choose: go back to his life of villainy and let his family become zombies, or stand up to his mom and become a real hero.

Favorite comfort food?

Really fatty stuff, like hamburgers or pizza.

Favorite game (think summer, flashlight tag, Marco Polo)?

Making things with mud.

Sun worshipper, spray tan or SPF 50?

I'm more the "hide inside most of the time but then not think about sun care when I finally do go outside and get horrible blisters on my nose" type. -__-

Beach or lake? Boat or shore?

Lake for swimming, beach for relaxing.  Shore!

Air conditioning or open windows?

Both--ahhh.  No really, growing up in WA, nobody has air conditioning, so I always longed for it as a kid.  In reality we have to make do with open windows, and I've gotten used to it and it's pretty nice.  On the three days a year we have 100 degree weather, though, I'll take the AC.

Favorite summer drink (lemonade, iced sweet tea, Kool Aid)?

Fruit punch flavored Kool Aid!  It's the best.  Lemonade is good but can sometimes feel like drinking puke.  Fruit punch Kool Aid never betrays me like that.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?

Ghost story, but since I don't know any, I'd have to do Truth or Dare.

Truth? Or dare?

Truth.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?

My Chemical Romance.  Both The Black Parade and Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.  (But we can leave out their other album, because it just doesn't do it for me.)

What movie would you bring to watch?

The Muppet Movie.  As a teen obsessing over what I wanted to do in life (and knowing it was writing but being told I couldn't), I've seen this movie SO many times and it's still one of my absolute faves.

Who's the ideal male mascot for The Fort and why?

Joss Whedon, because he's awesome and writes great stuff with strong female characters.  But if he's not available to be the mascot himself, I think Nathan Fillion could step in for him. 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?

Mmm.  (Man, your interview makes me long for summer!)  Lightly toasted, just enough to be crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?

Awake ALL night.

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?

I hate practical jokes.  I'm more the stay awake all night worrying or working or watching a whole season of Lost.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?

Rick Riordan.  He seems really cool and down to earth and tells great stories!  I'm so desperate for his two new series that are coming out.  He could pretty much tell any story he wanted and I would listen.


THANKS Chelsea, for visiting The Fort! Be a blog follower and comment below to win a copy of the ARC of THE RISE OF RENEGADE X. Tell us what you'd pick if you could have any superhero power! I think mine would be time related. Hmm....




17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read.. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I've been waiting for and many congrats to Chelsea on the option for the movie!!! Love a good superhero story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm been dying to read this! I've heard raving reviews for it. Congratulations Chelsea on the movie option!
    As far as a superhero power-I'd so want to fly. That would be such an awesome power to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *covets The Rise of Renegade X, plots acquirement of said book* This sounds so good, I've been waiting for it for some time! But golly, it'd be hard to **choose** a power.

    Hmm... I think mine would be Food Vision.

    Like, if I'm craving nachos I can stare at a table and think "I really want to eat a thing of nachos right now" and a thing of nachos would start appearing. But if, like, I lose concentration, then it means I didn't REALLY crave the food.

    Oh, and I can do it for friends too! But they have to stare at my eyes while I stare at the table or my hand or whatever. It's a great defense. If a villan is craving, say, a churro, and accidentally looks in my eyes, I can eyeball up a bunch of churros and throw them at the villan. The villan would therefore stop whatever their doing to eat the churros, and I can get me two handful of nachos. One to eat, and one to destroy whatever evil machinery the villan was working on. Maybe a soda too, in case I get thirsty. And to pour on the villans computers for good measure.

    And if all else fails, I'd be so fat I could just sit on everything.

    Yeah, nothing big. Just Food Vision.

    Dang, now I want nachos.

    *goes in search of nachos and churros*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I forgot to do it under my blogger account. That's still me, I swear! I also subscribe to your RSS feed.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to go with... maybe teleportation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks super cool

    Superpower - oh man, there so many good ones to choose from. I like the flying aspect because you can see the world (and also shorted trips)

    but I wouldn't mind having super speed reader power. there's so many excellent books and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read this book! My summer reading list (and fall and winter...I have alot of reading to do) has definitely improved since following this blog.

    However, books by authors who invite Joss Whedon to the fort get to jump to the front of the line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this book so bad!

    For my power I'd pick telekinesis. Maybe because I'm writing a book where people have that power. Plus Jean Grey is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love friday in the fort awesome interview! If i could have any power in the world it would be super speed or power absorption like rogue !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the contest, I'm a follower :)

    If I could have a superpower I would want to be able to manipulate space. This has multiple benefits. I could make myself skinner, and make things/appear disappear. Food, books...the whole enchilada (literally, do you want a whole enchilada?)

    allison.d.mason AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool that you like My Chemical Romance! They ruuule.
    I'd love to have telekinesis. To move things with my mind, maybe use a little cool-but-necessary hand motions. If I get good enough, I could make myself fly! How cool would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want to read this book! I've been waiting for it for months now!

    If I had a super power I'd like to move things with my mind. That way I could clean my house but still be lazy and sit on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds AWESOME! I think I'd have to pick teleportation as my superpower. Then I could live in Scotland where I want, work wherever I can find a job, and see my friends and family wherever I want. Think of the gas savings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the fort Chelsea! You're book sounds great I'll have to put it on my to read pile. Any fan of Joss Whedon's is bound to write a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any power at all? Hmm that's always a tough question. I think invisibility. That would be.. awesome!

    Wootwoot congrats on the movie option. That's very exciting!! :)

    Sherry
    ssalach88(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would want the ability to freeze or reverse time to add more hours to my day. Can't wait to read The Rise of Renegade X! Also, Joss and Nathan are both AWESOME additions to the fort! :)

    P.S. Brittany's hypothetical "Food Vision" cracked me up! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: