What Do I Read Next? (Take One)


In case you haven't heard, I'm a Book Pimp. One of my greatest joys in life is getting The Perfect Book into an Eager Reader's hot little hands. There's so much good stuff out there I had to restrain myself to ten books in each category, but here's a list of recommendations for Young Adult Lit for those of you who've asked for one.** Now, in no particular order:

Books I Have Read and Personally Guarantee:

Books in My TO BE READ PILE That Others Have Loved:

All of these fall into the paranormal romance or fantasy (including dystopian) categories, because that's what I like. Many are the first in a series. I've provided you with Amazon links so you can read descriptions and reviews, but it would be super-dee-duper if you'd buy them at your local independent bookstore or a brick-and-mortar shop.

For those of us who are of a certain age and like reviews by women in our ... ahem ... stage of life - I suggest the website of the FABULOUS Mundie Moms, bringing you book reviews, author chats, interviews and giveaways seven days a week!

For more recommendations, visit Young Adult Books Central. You can find reviews by adults and teens alike, especially helpful if you want a well-rounded opinion. YABC also has AMAZING giveaways and interviews. (It's the site I review for, and it's run by the fab Kimberly Pauley!)

Enjoy, and please let me know what you read and like - or don't like!

**(Rachel, Ellen, Terri and Kristi)


  1. Seriously, woman, how have NOT read HUNGER GAMES or GRACELING yet? I can also vouch for GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY and please add to you TBR pile: ETERNAL by Cynthia Leitich Smith. A smart, funny read by a talented author. And though I have not read many on your recommend list, I also loved the Immortal Instruments Trilogy. It's a gray, rainy day in the northeast and I've just dived into Carrie Ryan's FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. It's sooo yummy. (That sounded gross, didn't it?) Oh, and a question - can we have Eddie Vetter in the fort? Just to sing us to sleep? Can we, huh?

  2. Wow, what a list!

    Well, I enjoyed Need, The Hunger Games and the first half of Graceling was brilliant. The second half didn't do it for me and I HATED Hush, Hush. A Great and Terrible Beauty and Eyes Like Stars are on my list.

    Happy reading!

  3. Great recommendations! I have to completely agree with your guaranteed recs too, some great book in there! Vampire Academy is my guilty pleasure series, I LOVE it!

  4. Thanks for the list. One of my creative writing students keeps talking about this A Great and Terible Beauty. I definitely need to check it out. Love the blog. Curious where you get (or how to design) such fab blog art. arielswan@blogspot.com

  5. Have you read anything by Sonya Hartnett? She is one of, or probably the leading writer of young adult fiction in Australia, but is also internationally acclaimed. Sorry, had to mention an Aussie writer. Below is a link to her profile at Penguin.



Tell us everything: