The Shiny ... and Magnum P.I.

A little over a week ago, I had a very vivid dream. I woke up, wrote it down, and tried to let it go.

Didn't work.

I tried lots of diversionary tactics. I made scones. I cleaned things. Multiple things. I WATCHED GENERAL HOSPITAL.

Still didn't work.

So I gave in.

I now find myself in the precarious position of waiting for a revision letter for HOURGLASS and drafting my second contracted book for Egmont - while fighting with The Shiny, dream-inspired new idea.

The Shiny showed up completely plotted with fully-formed characters and an ACTUAL ENDING. This is part of what makes it so irresistible and ... shiny. And, Holy Stephenie Meyer Batman, any Young Adult writer worth his or her salt who has a dream knows to write that beeyotch down. (I am happy to tell you that no one sparkled or drank the blood of mountain lions for sustenance in my dream, but the desire to kill was involved.)

Which means when it comes to blogging? I got nothin'. I mean, I don't even have a good kid story. Everyone left their pants on this week, we didn't run over any Laughing Cow cheese displays in the grocery store, and no one stuffed any glittery Christmas ornaments into their unders.

OH, oh! Here's something. The night after I had the dream about the The Shiny, I had another dream.

Tom Selleck as Magnum PI came to my house and whisked me away to the Robin's Nest in Hawaii. Higgins was there, along with Rick, TC and the Ferrari.

Also there? The 'stache.

Rest assured, I will not be turning this into a YA novel.

As for why ... well ... draw your own conclusions.


  1. Holy Magnum! You are hysterical. Love the dream. And the shiny. And okay, Magnum just made me laugh. Mostly because you recalled all the players with such frightening accuracy!!!

  2. As a kid, my husband loved Magnum PI so much that on Christmas Eve, when his mom said, "Guess who's coming tonight?", he yelled, "MAGNUM PI?!?" and was sadly disappointed. True story.

    Can't wait to hear more about the shiny... and Hourglass, for that matter!

  3. I had a serious thing for Magnum too...actually, I'd bet that all women "of a certain age" did...

    ...and yes, I feel old even typing that.

  4. Oooh... I'm quite fascinated now by this dream of yours. Hope you have time to work on it! Reminds me of Dumbledore in Prisoner of Azkaban (movie version) "For now, let him sleep. For in dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own. Let them swim in the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud." Keep dreaming! :)

  5. Oh thankgoodness you're not turning the Magnum P.I. dream into a YA novel! LOL! As for writing down your dreams, I'm all for that. Some of my best book ideas have come from dreams. I always keep a dream journal next to my bed. :)

  6. Now that you're done with the Magnum dream could you send him over to my place. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE him and I don't care who knows it. Why is it that men age so well and we women have to get the cottage cheese?

    Good luck on the decision with the shiny. Dreams like that don't come around every day and I think if I were you I'd at least write it down and save it somewhere for later. If it's that fab talk to your agent and see what she thinks. That's what they're there for.

  7. Sometimes you just have to go with the Shiny New! Especially when it comes sooo strongly in dream form. Can't wait to hear more.

  8. Ah the shinies...precious shiny. Sigh. I got plenty of those. They argue endlessly with the current project.

    It's gotten to the place my husband says, "wait, which book is this now?" whenever I bounce ideas off him.

    The plan is to break them all out at the same time (cue evil cackle). I wish...(Hugs)Indigo

  9. hilarious. I loved Higgins. good luck balancing all that inspiration.

  10. Me. Love. The. Shiny.

    That is all. XD

  11. Ah the shiny. Well the important thing is to write as many details of the shiny DOWN so that you don't forget it. That whole, you know, having an ENDING is really important. And maybe you can use the shiny as your reward for doing your daily wad on the sequel to Hourglass

  12. Myra and Magnum...sitting in a tree...KAY EYE ESS ESS EYE EN GEE!!

    Sorry...couldn't resist.


Tell us everything: