Friday in the Fort with Rachel Hawkins

HEX HALL by RACHEL HAWKINS: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Today we welcome my agent-mate and authoress extraordinaire, Rachel Hawkins, to The Fort. Rachel's book, HEX HALL, debuts on March 2, 2010. It's already been called a BIG BOOK (and they don't mean word count) by Publishers Weekly, and having read it, I can tell you I CONCUR.


Read more to find out about HEX HALL, Rachel, and HOW TO WIN AN ARC of HEX HALL and a VERY HEXY T-SHIRT!!!

Favorite comfort food?

Some form of cheese dip. I am the Appetizer Queen, and I find few things make me happier than a giant crockpot of cheesey Rotel goodness! ;-)

Favorite game (think snowy, below wind chill day)?

I actually don't like games! It's because I'm an only child. Nothing sadder than an Only with a board game! So...something on the computer, maybe? Oregon Trail? Always fun to see how long it takes my party to contract dysentary...

Fleece, flannel, chenille or Snuggie?

Siiiigh. To my ETERNAL DISMAY, I still don't have a Snuggie. Because if I did, that is SO WHAT I WOULD PICK. Let's go with chenille. Have several lovely chenille throws.

If Snuggie, what color?

IF I HAD A FABULOUS SNUGGIE, I would want either a leopard print "Bluggie"- Thank you, Lara Zielin!- or a collegiate Snuggie for Auburn University. War Eagle!

Fluffy socks or slippers (be specific)?

Oooh, fluffy socks! I have about ten pairs of fluffy socks in various shades/variations of pink. Love.

Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

I love, love, love coffee, but if we're chillin' in The Fort, I would like to be nice and relaxed, so hot tea. Preferably the Lavender Versailles blend from Miss Rosemarie's Specialty Teas in Birmingham, AL. It is heaven in a cup.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?

Have you READ my book? ;-) Ghost story all the way!!

Truth? Or dare?

Truth. I'm bascially an open book anyway, so that's easy for me!

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?

Soothing, ladylike music would be nice, so let's go with Loreena McKennitt.

Who's the ideal male mascot for the fort and why?

Well, everyone knows how I feel about Prince Caspian...er, I mean Ben Barnes. But I have good reasons that have nothing to do with shiny hair and big swords! (Ahem.) Prince- Ben Barnes has been in a TON of literary adaptations (Narnia, obvs, Easy Virtue, Dorain Gray, etc.), AND has an English degreee, so really, what better qualified hottie is there to represent a Fort full of Writerly Types? (Also: Shiney hair! Sword! Pretty eyes!)

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?

Set on fire, baby! This always grosses out my husband, but that's how I like them!

Awake all night or first one to sleep?

Sadly, first one to sleep. Mama likes her rest.

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?

Oh, no! A practical joke would violate the sanctity of The Fort! ;-)

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?

Judy Blume. Mostly I would just want her to tell me stories about how awesome she is. Because she is so very, very awesome. Or Lois Duncan, who would tell the scariest ghost stories EVER! Or Cassandra Clare, who could tell us stories about Jace and Clary making out...

So there you have it! Now, here's how to win a copy of the HEX HALL ARC and a HEXY t-shirt:

1. Be or become a follower of this blog.

2. Comment with a HEXY HAIKU of your own creation. Don't know how to write a haiku? Click here for some directions.

THAT'S IT! Rachel herself will pick the winner. This contest will close on Wednesday, February 10, 2010, and is open to US residents only. We'll announce the winner as soon as all entries are judged!



  1. Had a dream last night
    Elodie and Winchesters
    Only three more weeks left

    and a bonus WAR DAMN EAGLE!

  2. You've got to love a girl that listens to Loreena McKennitt! As for haiku's, ugh, sorry, I could make even that strange of a poem aweful! I'll be keeping an eye out for Hex Hall though!

  3. This is one of my most anticipated books of 2010. I would love a chance to review it.

    Oh mystic being
    enchant me under thy spell
    hexy magic brew

  4. OK, I've never written a haiku (thank you Texas school system) so here it goes:

    Oh so hexy warlocks
    make my fuzzy socked toes
    curl up in delight

    The perfectionist in me is really worried this isn't correct but the wanna-win-a-book-and-tshirt part of me beat her up and posted it anyway.

    Another awesome Friday in the Fort!

  5. Oh, how I love Ms. Hawkins and you Ms. McIntyre. You two are muy hexy. I just had to leave a comment re: Shared love of Bin Bons and only for his apparent literary credentials (shiny hair, can hold a long, heavy sword believably and eat a scone while making deliciously flirty expressions are just complete asides to his clear literary prowess).

    I also wanted to remind everyone to pre-order HEX HALL at their favorite store and get hexy! 5-stars of UNbelievable writing, characterizations and a plot that twists darkly when you least expected it.

    P.S. I'd write a haiku but, umm, it would be about dark shiney hair and chocolate fondue eyes. LOL. Great contest Myra!

  6. Waiting waiting wait
    For a real important date
    Hex Hall's release day

    Eh? It's been a while since I've done a haiku. But I'm VERY excited for Hex Hall and even featured it on my last Waiting on Wednesday post!

  7. Hexy witchy Witch
    Looking at her reflection
    Pondering a spell

    Sorry I'm not very creative!

  8. My haiku's about Rachel:

    Know her on Twitter
    Introduced by my husband
    Can't wait to read book

  9. I'm a follower! YAY!
    This book looks fantastic...Here's my little haiku for the contest. :)

    Hex Hall is coming
    I must add it to my list
    I can haz fort pleaz?

    Ok so everyone knows the last sentence of a haiku never follows with the topic of the other 2 lines. Haha this is just me being random.

  10. I think Ben is the perfect addition to the fort. Yum!

    As for haiku, yikes -- I'm not much of a poet...

    Warlocks, faeries, ghosts
    Mysteries, freak teens, a witch
    I won't sleep tonight

    Can't wait to stay up reading this book!

  11. *snickering* Okay, now we've lost Sophie and Rachel to BB. *looks to Myra* Guess the rest of the mascots are ours. LOL

    Hex Hall ROCKS! I've just started it YAY. I love Fridays in the forts.

  12. To answer the call
    to wax the life immortal
    never taste regret

    Cangrats Rae!

  13. Oooh! I've wanted this one sine I came down with cover envy....not to mention, everything I've read thus far about it, comes up smelling like roses. Count me in for a chance please! Here is my entry:

    Mysteries abound
    A magic once lost is now found
    Hex Hall here I come!

    (Okay, so it's not the most thought provoking...but it get the message across......)

    If you'd prefer a more poetic take....

    Sophie holds the key
    Magic hides the lock from sight
    The truth must be known

    (TADA! Two for one!)

    Thanks for the contest, congrat's to author Rachel Hawkins on the upcoming release....and happy reading!


  14. I love Friday in the Fort! Hex Hall sounds like a very cool book!
    My haiku:

    Vampire to my left,
    Sexy warlock to my right
    But what's behind me?!

  15. Great Friday in the Fort!

    Words muttered in air
    Magic pulses through the hall
    Ground shakes in the wake


  16. My own manuscript
    is also about witches
    so I need this ARC!

    Or my favorite...
    I mean, we're looking
    down on Wayne's basement. Only
    that's not Wayne's basement.

    Garth. That was a haiku. Excellent.


  17. I wish it was March right now!

    Anyways heres my haiku! :)

    Dear Sophie Mercer,
    Why oh why must you be bad,
    To Hex Hall you go!

    And because I couldn't decide which one to use here is the other one!

    My estranged father,
    Hes a powerful warlock,
    And i'm a teen witch.

    And I follow you! :)

    Thanks SO much for the chance to win this!!! :D


  18. To spin a hexed tale
    Weave it deeply in my mind
    Kept with me forever

    Read so much about this book on blogs I follow. Really want to read it.

  19. Agonizing is
    Waiting for a book out March
    When Now is Feb'ry.

    Mayhem and myst'ries,
    Magical dreams await those
    Who brew the right spell.

  20. Ill have to come back with a haiku bc I have no idea how to write one yet, but I just read chapter 1 of Hex Hall and I LOVED it and want to read the whole thing now so Ill learn the Haiku. But I can tell already that this is going to be hilarious and I'll love it and also LOVE Loreena McKennit!!! Woot!

  21. I'm a follower! :-)

    I want to go to
    Hex Hall. Mundane life is not
    nearly enough fun.

    (Sad...and I'm getting Masters in poetry, to boot!)

  22. David Duchovny
    is totally invited
    to live in my fort.

    PS, great interview! I've heard many great things about Hex Hall, and I can't wait to read it myself!

  23. Want to write haiku
    Vomit paper bag instead
    Scared I'll get it wrong

  24. I follow and don't write haiku but really want this book :)

    Come to me tonight
    I can put a hex on you
    Meet me in the Spring

  25. Great giveaway, ladies! Thanks for the opportunity - this books is on my TBR list. :-)

    Rachel Hawkins picks
    the winner of Hex Hall
    please let it be me

  26. Put a hex on me
    And make the night last forever
    Don't let morning come


  27. Sorceress, warlock,
    Tongue of bat and eye of newt,
    Hex Hall for the win!



  28. Prom night mishap leads
    To exile at freak-teen school
    Oh, Sophie, you...witch!

    I can't wait to read this book!

  29. Thank you for leaving the link on how to write a haiku.

    After trying to write one about my homework, or m&m's, I went to a love of mine instead.

    Here's my attempt about books:

    Are an addiction
    They must be real, bound, paper
    I read lots of them

  30. Mystery Plot
    Sophia, plain she is not
    Nineteen Schools, Oh my!

    OK, that was my attempt lol
    Thanks for this fun contest Myra!!!

    secsec1 (at) gmail (dot) com

  31. Oh I'm dying to read this! It's been on my wish list for months. Here's my attempt:

    a hex upon you
    for you've stolen my heart
    thief, undo this spell

  32. Witch, Sophie Mercer
    Cast a spell gone wrong, exiled
    to hex hall she goes.

    can't wait to read hex hall, thanks for the giveaway.

    Van P.


Tell us everything: