Friday in the Fort with Julie Kagawa

The Iron King: Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

Bio: Julie lives in Louisville, KY with her husband, two obnoxious cats, an australian shepherd, and a hyperactive papillon. She loves books, anime, sushi, and video games. The Iron King is her debut novel and is out now from Harlequin TEEN.

Due to my very, very tall "To Be Read" stack o' books, I am still reading THE IRON KING. I plan to finish this weekend, so Monday I'm going to pick one lucky blog follower/commenter to win my copy of the ARC! Readers should be prepared for excellent world building, sharp word play and SWORDS. Look for my official review early next week at Young Adult Books Central.

Now, welcome Julie to The Fort!

Favorite comfort food?

Some sort of pasta. Mac N cheese, cheesy alfredo or lasagna, smothered in cheese and cheese and cheese sauce. (I might like cheese a bit, too.)

Favorite game?

Whatever my current obsession on the XBox, PS3, or Wii. At the moment its Dragon Age Origins, but Mass Effect II is out now, so...

Fleece, flannel, chenille or Snuggie?

Hoodies. I wear hoodies everywhere, even in below freezing weather. Love my hoodies.

If Snuggie, what color?

If I had a Snuggie, it would be black. No black Snuggies? I’d still find one, trust me. 

Fluffy socks or slippers?

Fuzzy socks! I have several pairs of bright fuzzy socks--they’re usually the brightest thing I wear. Black hoodie, black jeans, and neon yellow fuzzy socks.

Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

I’m not a coffee drinker, and I’m not terribly fond of tea, so I guess that leaves hot chocolate. But honestly I don’t drink many hot drinks. I don’t drink much of anything besides Mt. Dew. :P

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?

Ghost story, especially if I can be the one to tell it.

Truth? Or dare?

Double dog dare.

What singer/musician/band is a must have for The Fort soundtrack?

Breaking Benjamin, Within Temptation, and Cascada are a few of my favorites.

What movie would you bring to watch?

My anime series of Fushigi Yugi. Best anime ever.

Who's the ideal male mascot (wow that sounds sexist) for the fort and why?

Bin Bons, lol! I mean, Ben Barnes. I love dark, smoldering boys with piercing dark eyes and wavy hair. *swoon.* Also, if Iron King was ever made into a movie, Mr. Barnes would be the perfect Ash. 

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?

Lightly toasted, between two graham crackers and a chocolate square, please.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?

Night owl. My normal bedtime is around one or two am, so I’m awake all night.

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?

*Evil laughter.* Where’s my werewolf mask?

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?

Neil Gaiman. He can tell any story he wants, I just love listening to his voice.

Thank you muchly for visiting The Fort!! Thanks for having me! It was fun!

BinBons says follow and comment to win THE IRON KING. DON'T ARGUE WITH BINBONS.

UPDATE: Congrats to Throuthehaze/Raelena for winning the ARC of THE IRON KING!


  1. I do love these.
    I am so with Julie on hoodies!
    Smores + hoody + Caspian + Iron King = 4 more reasons for me to hide in the fort!

  2. What a fun interview!! Welcome to the fort Julie!!

    No need to enter me for The Iron King arc I already have a copy Thanks! :)

  3. So agree on Neil Gaiman. Could listen to him talk for hours.
    Great interview! I loved the chat at Mundiemoms and can't wait to read this series!

  4. That was an awesome interview! I loved her answer to the food question, I love cheese on everything too! =D

  5. I love these Fridays in the fort. Such a fun interview! I love hoodies, Breaking Benjamin, and CHEESE, too!

  6. Wow! Someone else who loves Within Temptation. Nice. Usually, I have to explain to others who they are.

    And let's hear it for Bin Bons!

  7. I must obey BinBons! Love the s'mores shout out!
    Can't wait to read Iron King

  8. This was a fun interview! I agree about Ben Barnes - love the dark, smoldering type myself.

  9. Hello Ash! Oh man, so goooood!

  10. adorable interview lol
    I'm in total agreement with BinBons, I've followed, so please sign me up =D

  11. Fun interview! I am a follower and would love the chance to read this book :)


  12. Cheese, s'mores and BIN BONS. *sigh* Doesn't get any better for me. YUM!!! Julie, thank you so much for your wonderful story. Myra, what can I add, but...The Fort is now my favorite getaway...low cost and hey, effective!! Thanks for another TGIF moment.

  13. I was wondering when Mt. Dew was going to make an appearance LOL. Thanks for the fun read!

  14. Yes, NO ONE says NO to The BINBONS. No one. LOL

    YAY Julie for the awesome Fort interview. WELCOME to the Fort. You'll never want to leave.

    The Iron King is a MUST read.

  15. That was an awesome interview with very original questions. And I've gotta say that Julie Kagawa is my new hero!

  16. Mmm... pasta! I agree regarding Neil Gaiman. I'm pretty sure he could read the phone book aloud & I'd still be mesmerized by his voice. And of course, three cheers for another healthy dose of BinBons in the fort! Definitely the perfect Ash. :)

  17. Great interview, looking forward to reading this book!

    - follower

  18. I really need to read this book - everyone is raving about it!!

  19. Nice interview! I hear a lot of good things about this book but haven't managed to pick up a copy yet so please enter me for the contest! Thank you! :)

  20. I want to read The iron King!!! Haha It was a funny interview and I love that she told what actor she thinks could be the characters of the book. XD

  21. What a fun interview! Please sign me up for the contest.

  22. Oh, and I am a follower (Lisa M. Basso)s


Tell us everything: