Friday in the Fort with Bree Despain

I'm so excited to welcome Bree to the fort! If you've seen my post from earlier this week, you know how I feel about her debut novel, THE DARK DIVINE. It is LURVE!!! Keep reading to see who attended one of Bree's signings (in a feather boa!) and to learn how you can win your very own bottle of THE DARK DIVINE nail polish.

Bree Despain rediscovered her childhood love for creating stories when she took a semester off college to write and direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens from Philadelphia and New York. She currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, two young sons, and her beloved TiVo. THE DARK DIVINE is Bree's debut novel.

More about THE DARK DIVINE: Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

Favorite comfort food?

Hmm, pretty much anything with chocolate in it. Especially Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy Ice Cream--that stuff is to die for, and I mean that kind of literally since I'm not supposed to eat dairy.

Favorite game (think snowy, below wind chill day)?

Well, if were playing it in the fort with the guys, then I'm gonna say Twister.

Fleece, flannel, chenille or Snuggie?

Okay, so here's the deal: For the last little while I really wanted a Snuggie. So while at a recent writing retreat with my BFFs, we bought a Snuggie (along with 3 bottles of hair dye and a lot of chocolate) to try out. But the darn thing kept slipping off my shoulders—which kind of defeats the entire purpose of the Snuggie! I’m thinking of redesigning it with a back like a poncho. I'd call it a Ponchie.

If Snuggie, what color?

My Ponchie would have to be TDD purple, of course!

Fluffy socks or slippers?

I used to be a slippers girl, but one of my writing buddies gave me a pair of lime green comfy socks for Christmas, and I am IN LOVE.

Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

I love Stephen's Chocolate Mint Truffle Hot Chocolate and Tazo Passion herbal tea . . . but not at the same time.

Ghost story or Truth or Dare?

Truth or Dare. In the sixth grade, my teacher used to read us Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark in a dark room after lunch--and after about a week, I became convinced that there was a ghost living under my little sister's bed. Never been able to handle ghost stories since.

Truth? Or dare?

Truth. No wait, dare. No . . . truth.

Who's the ideal male mascot (wow that sounds sexist) for the fort and why?

Jacob . . . and as to why: Um, have you seen those abs? Oh, but I don't think the fort would be complete without Taylor Kitsch. I could just sit and listen to him tell us stories with his Riggins drawl. Squee!

Marshmallows, lightly toasted or burned to a crisp?

Crispy, but not quite burned.

Awake all night or first one to sleep?

Awake all night. The best antics happen after midnight.

If awake all night, practical joke or no (and what kind)?

I'd be the one watching the practical jokes while squealing, "You can't do that!" but secretly enjoying every minute of it.

If you could have any YA author visit the fort and tell stories, who would it be and what story would you ask them to tell?

Meg Cabot. I'd want her to read Pants On Fire out loud to us and I'd eat up every single minute of it. Plus, I think Meg would be A LOT of fun at a fort slumber party.

Thanks so much, Bree! Show the love in the comments section and one lucky follower/commenter will win his or her very own bottle of THE DARK DIVINE nail polish!


  1. Par-tay with BREE!! I love that Jacob is the mascot today and yes, Twister would be a must *snickers* I love this party we have in here. It makes Friday so much fun!!

  2. This post is like mint oreos - two of my favorite things in one! luuuvving Fridays in the Fort.

  3. Nice one. I really want to read this book now, after all the hype on Twitter and turning it over in my hot little hands at the bookstore last night. I hate that I'm broke.

    Hate. It.

  4. Fridays in the Fort are way too much fun! Tazo Passion tea = yummy. Taylor = also yummy. And now I want to get my hands on a cozy purple Ponchie! :)

  5. Woohoooo back in the fort! Loved TDD!

  6. My copy of TDD is on the way, and I can't *wait* to read it!

    I think Meg Cabot would be a fun sleepover choice too. Also, a ponchie would be a great idea! Count me for that one.

  7. Hummm twister, I'm liking this idea... Can't wait to get my hands on Bree's book!

  8. I just got this book in the mail this week and am dying to begin it! Woo-hoo for Friday in the Fort! :)

  9. That was a really fun signing. I loved this book.

    I absolutely love Fridays in the Fort!!!

    (BTW, this isn't an entry.)

  10. What a fun interview! She sounds like a fun gal. :) About to start reading TDD!

  11. That was a fabulously fun interview! TDD is on my To Read List!!
    Myra, I got my Beautiful Creatures today! Thanks again!!

  12. Very cool :-) I love that she took a semester off of college to write/direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens!

  13. TDD is definitely a book I want to read. Added it to my list.

  14. Thanks so much for having me in the fort. I <3 the fort. It's exactly what I needed today. I think I'll pull on my ponchie and take a nap for a bit.

  15. A teacher who read scary stories in the dark? Wow. Some kids would love that, and others, scared and scarred, for sure. I love the name Dark Divine.
    Fridays in the Fort is so overthetop, Myra, I left you something on my blog. :D

  16. Fabulous!!! Same as me - hellooooooo, Twister! And I agree re: Snuggie slippin' off the shoulders. Ponchie, all the way. I think these posts are by far my favorite in all of Internet Land.

  17. Wow, TDD sounds like my kind of book. Can't wait to read it!

    And I thnk Jacob looks quite fetching in a boa. ;)

  18. I absolutely loved TDD, took me by surprise how good it was. It was brilliant. Now all I need is some TDD nail polish to go with it! :) Thanks so much!

  19. Completely agree with your choice of mascots... Have you tried a Slanket (you know the REAL deal not the cheap snuggie)... They are soft, hand warmer pocket, foot pocket, and sorta stay on your shoulders more.

  20. ooo this is a fun giveaway! I like nail polish. :)

  21. My snuggie falls of my shoulders too!! They should've put a couple of snps on the back.

  22. TDD sounds great, def. adding it to my to buy list! Thanks for the giveaway!

    van p.


Tell us everything: