A Fangirl Post for The Dark Divine

Buy it   naow ...
moar funny pictures

Between reading the books I review for Young Adult Books Central and my own writing, it's very seldom that I get to read something strictly for pleasure.

Bree Despain, author of The Dark Divine, is visiting The Fort this Friday. I wanted to be able to comment on her book when I posted her interview, so I bumped it to the front of my To Be Read Pile. Fate and football conspired against my plans to write yesterday afternoon, so I grabbed TDD from my office so I could read if I got the chance.

I did.

And I forgot to eat dinner.

My left eye looks like I shot red dye into it because I failed to blink the whole time I was reading.

I finished it in three hours.

I dreamed about it last night.

I woke up at 5:00 am thinking about it.

People. People. People. I'm telling you. Listen to me - listen to the LOL Cat. Buy it NAOW ...

Grace and Daniel are so real that I swear this book practically breathes. I love these characters. I am so emotionally invested in what happens next that I found myself trying to write part two in my head. I stopped, because I'm way more interested in the way Bree will write it. Not only is her characterization excellent - her writing is smooth, fluid. There are lovely nuances and details that, as my friend Jessica explained it, "made me feel as if I was 'in' the story the whole time."

Religion plays a role, in such an understated way. It's just part of who some of the characters are. No big deal, not an "issue," simply a part of everyday life. So fresh.

I haven't seen such an original twist on a genre since ... I don't want to give it away. But it's by another author I fangirl over quite often.

The Dark Divine is most definitely on my list of the best books of 2009, along with The Demon's Lexicon, Eyes Like Stars, Shiver, Candor, Ballad, Beautiful Creatures and Shadowed Summer.

If I don't get an ARC of book two, someone will pay. No idea who, but trust me - I have secret ninja skills. So does Bree Despain, by the way.

And finally, one of the coolest things about my reading experience? The Dark Divine was published by my publishing house, Egmont USA.

I can't even put words to the level of awesome feelings this stirs.

Make sure to stop by The Fort to meet Bree this Friday. And if you pick up The Dark Divine, please tell me what you think!

You can enjoy The Dark Divine playlist and find out more about Bree and the book by clicking here.


  1. right. there. with. you. loooovvveed it!!! I went all fan girl last week when I posted my review and Bree Despain retweeted the link and said I really got the book. Still a little goofy over it.

  2. Aimee - post a link to your review!!!

  3. http://sunnyinthemiddle.blogspot.com

  4. I solemnly promise it's bubbling up on my TBR just because of your review and others. I can hardly wait to meet Daniel and Grace.

  5. Okay, I totally trust your taste because every book you've recommended that I read, I've fallen in love with. So, off to find a copy!

  6. I have 3 copies currently in my possesion. I have been to 2 signings. There is another signing coming up that I plan on getting 2 more copies signed.
    I'm a slacker so my review isn't up yet, but I loved this book!!!

  7. I am putting it on my To read list right freaking now! :)

  8. I can't wait to get my hands on it! *ahem, ahem* It sounds amazing and right up my alley.


Tell us everything: