My Review of Ballad for YABC.

If you’ve read any of my reviews of Maggie Stiefvater’s work, you already know I’m a huge fan (like, an embarrassing, fangurl type of fan). I pick her books up with a mixture of excitement and trepidation, always ready for an amazing, lyrical ride, but more than a little worried about how things are going to turn out. She’s not afraid of bittersweet. I am. If a writer can make your stomach hurt before you even open her book, you know she’s good.

Of course, Ballad was everything I expected and more.

I loved Luke in Lament. I loved Sam in Shiver. But I have to say, hands down, James is my most favorite and crush-worthy Stiefvater creation. He’s cocky. He’s arrogant. He’s flawed and real and leaps off the page. Just how I like ‘em. Nuala’s layers, mysteries and complexities make for an intriguing heroine. I rooted for her and James to succeed from the first chapter.

Also, there is kissing. Hot. Kissing.

Dee, from the first book in the series, reappears. She did several things that made me not like her as much as I did in Lament. So, with the unresolved issues and all that, I really need a book three. (Did you hear me, Flux? Maggie? Don’t make me write fan fiction.)

Read the rest here at the YABC blog!


  1. Hahaha I am with you 100% on this. I LOVE Stiefvater books (and Maggie too) at a crazy fan girl level! All I want to do is read them over and over again. I have a crush on Ballad-its my fave so far and YES I LOVE James!! OMGzzzz!!!! Please let there be book 3!

  2. I just finished reading Ballad today and OMG I totally agree with you about James. What an amazing guy! I laughed out loud at some of his comments. He's just brilliant!

    I have to say, nobody writes longing as well as Stiefvater. With every book of hers that I read, I love her writing more. These are the kind of books I read over and over.


Tell us everything: