12/09/2009

For the Sake of Clarity

I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of traffic this little old blog received yesterday - I will be sending Janet Reid cupcakes. The only thing I love more than being encouraged is encouraging others. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories and exchanging hope with me. I don't know how to tell you how much your comments mean.

I do feel like I need to provide a little clarity.

As wonderful as yesterday's post made the love between us sound, sometimes my husband and I think it all might end in a cage match. Or like this:



I agree with Janet - writing isn't a solitary pursuit. If you're in a relationship, your other half will have to make some sacrifices. They don't always do it willingly.

In an ideal world I would've just said, "Hey, Mac, I'm gonna write a book, yo," and he would've said, "Sweet. I'll take the boys off your hands every night when I get home from work. Also? The cooking and cleaning? Don't sweat it."

It didn't go down like that. In fact, until I got my first full request from an agent, I kind of think he thought I was putzing around on Facebook until two o'clock in the morning.

It all comes down to this: No one will write your book for you. In those late hours when your eyes are crossing and you think you might cause bodily harm to yourself if you have to edit that freaking paragraph one more time and you discover you're out of coffee AND Twizzlers and your youngest wakes up at the butt crack of dawn so you really should go to bed, the only thing that's going to pull you through to write the next page is you.

YOU.

I very firmly believe I am called to be a writer. It became a reality for me the day I went face down on the floor in my laundry room, burst into tears and SUBMITTED to the fact that no matter the outcome - I had to try.

Terrifying. Committing to a calling, committing to a page, committing to the possibility of FAILURE. For me, there's a little spark that won't be denied. I can't stop.

I won't stop.

The support of friends and family is icing on my "sparkalay" cupcake. If you don't have that support, GO YE TO TWITTER and get you some. Seriously.

The writing community is amazingly supportive. No matter your age, gender, race or religion, we're all in the same boat. You can always find someone whose process is like yours, or someone whose process is better. We're not reinventing the wheel. How many paranormal avenues are out there? How many ways can a fictional detective solve a crime? How many ways can a couple make ...

Whoops.

Writing is solitary because YOU have to make a choice, every day, to continue the pursuit. Writers are a community because support exists, whether it involves real life relationships or virtual ones.

If you need an example, look at my blog post from yesterday.



17 comments:

  1. Your post today justifies my decision to add your blog to my reader yesterday. A one-hit wonder you're not.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Writing is bizarre that way, it's the most solitary act in the world, and at the same time, its the one that involves and invites the most community. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myra,
    I can not remember, exactly, how I found your blog but I'm so glad I did! I last month I started writing my first YA/middle grades book. I have always wanted to write but only recently got "the" idea. I read several of your blogs and then headed over to twitter. By following you, I have been opened up to other great writers. I haven't been brave enough to join the chats - yet. But I'm getting there. Thanks for your excellent example. Oh, and the daily belly laughs. You totally crack me up.
    From one mom of boys to another.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think I should have married a writer so they would understand. But I'm thinking no one would ever eat around here if that was the case. Or clean up or do homework. It's the ying and the yang. He might not always get it, but I'm so glad to have my husband to balance me out. Like you said, he's my "sparkalay" support. Well, him and all my blogging and tweeting buddies like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me laugh because once I got a laptop, I visited more blogs, went to Verla blueboards more, and of course...wrote! (and yes, I check Facebook once in a while during the day)But my hubby accused me of being on FB all day once! So yes, family can be supportive, but like you said, it can be very solitary too! And the blogging writing community is beyond AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all teared up! Couldn't have said it better myself. Now I'm inspired to go write my next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On days like today, I sincerely doubt if I can fulfill my calling as well as you have. I was pushing myself to that early morning limit last night in order to finish my work for today. I have been a zombie all day. I can justify it for my real job, but I can't for a hobby. It's just not fair to my family.

    You are more stalwart than I am, Myra. Or perhaps I'm just getting too old. In any case, I am thrilled for you and hope you get that publishing offer very soon.

    Throw strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you guys. Thanks for the kind words, again! I'm gonna have to go to the grocery store in my pajama pants to remind myself what a dork I am.

    In another post I mentioned the #kidlitchat (Tuesdays 8 pm Eastern) and the #yalitchat (Wednesdays 9 pm Eastern) that happen on Twitter. That's where a lot of my support comes from - besides my blogger peeps. ;) I know they have the same deal for script writers, and you can check the #amwriting hashtag everyday for other people that write.

    In our solitary pursuit, Twitter really is a virtual water cooler. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't have described writing any better than you did. It takes a lot of courage to write, for there is no way a writer would not reveal herself once she shares herself through her words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra... I tagged you on my blog! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to this. Paul my other half used to think it was just a hobby. He had a hard time understanding how I could lose hours (and I mean hours) in a day, lost in my writing.

    Finally I told Paul it was no different than what he did as a professional musician. No one had a clue the hours of practice he went through to give them a perfect show. Same goes with writing, it doesn't happen overnight. Dishes pile up, along with the laundry.

    Eventually you do find that middle ground. I still say, you have to give in to the muse when it demands your attention. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! What a fun way with words you have. I stopped by on Kay Cassidys recommendation and she made a good one :) Glad to add you to my visits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So thrilled for you!!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Myra,
    I don't know you. I first heard of you when your deal was announced this week. I'm writing to tell you that you are inspiring me to keep at it and not to lose hope. I have a book finished and a second one started and there's nothing I love more than a success story!

    Congrats and Bravo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! What a fun way with words you have. I stopped by on Kay Cassidys recommendation and she made a good one :) Glad to add you to my visits!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Myra... I tagged you on my blog! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can relate to this. Paul my other half used to think it was just a hobby. He had a hard time understanding how I could lose hours (and I mean hours) in a day, lost in my writing.

    Finally I told Paul it was no different than what he did as a professional musician. No one had a clue the hours of practice he went through to give them a perfect show. Same goes with writing, it doesn't happen overnight. Dishes pile up, along with the laundry.

    Eventually you do find that middle ground. I still say, you have to give in to the muse when it demands your attention. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: