11/09/2009

I Heart Twitter Lit Chats (OR Twitterpated...)

I love Twitter. I'm kind of addicted (if by kind of I mean it's worse than my Cadbury Creme Egg problem). I mostly follow writers and editors in my genre, and "knowing" them has confirmed my original suspicion. The writing community is AMAZING, as evidenced by all the virtual kicks in the pants for procrastination to the cheerleading and (((hugs))) when someone has a bad day.

I connect with these people, either because a) we're in the same paddle boat frantically seeking the shore or b) because they're awake when I am. This translates into me putting my bohunkus in the car to drive to the bookstore to either buy a) the books they wrote or b) the books they tell me they love.

Marketing with a heart, as grassroots as it can get. People connecting with people - almost impossible in the trenches of the writing world - until Twitter came along and became our virtual water cooler.

And if Twitter is our water cooler, lit chats are our conference calls. Listen up, Twitterphobes. If you're a YA or Children's writer and you aren't flying high with that little blue Twitter bird, here are two reasons to get with it, man!

1. #Kidlitchat - Created by Greg Pincus and Bonnie Adamson, it happens every Tuesday at 9pm eastern time. If you'd like to join in, search the hashtag on Twitter.

Try it once. You'll be so hooked you'll tweet me virtual chocolate.

2. #YAlitchat - Created by Georgia McBride, it occurs every Wednesday night at 9pm eastern time.

You'd be surprised who shows up to those chats - writers like Ellen Hopkins and Pam Bachorz, as well as agents and editors. If you'd like to know who, you can see transcripts from both #yalitchat and #kidlitchat by checking out the creator links above.

You want to do it now, don'tcha? Come on over to the dark side! Here's the linky-loo!

9 comments:

  1. I love kidlitchat. I haven't been there since soccer season started. Thank goodness that's almost over! I can't wait to get back in =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chats are way more fun than I'd ever expected, I must say.

    Thanks for the shout-outs and for participating in the chats, oh fellow addict!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cadbury cream eggs too!
    But I have not tweeted. I am so afraid that it will become a major timesuck for me. Facebook and blogs are awesome for writing info, comradrie, and support and I visit them often. But I am afraid one more thing will distract me more from my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right! Twitter is like Cadbury creme eggs! I love both unconditionally.

    Twitter actually hasn't sucked away my writing time, which I know many people worry about. It's had the complete opposite effect. People on there (like you!*hugs*) encourage me and keep me on my goals.

    And #kidlitchat is where it's at! I've met so many great people on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherrie - I hate missing! Even if I only have a second I stop by ... and anytime I've tried to lurk I've ended up chiming in!

    Greg - YOU ROCK! And yes, the chats are super fun.

    Kelly - It can be distracting. Sometimes I take a "twittercation." I'm trying to be on one this week.

    Heather - *hugs you back* I love all the encouragement, too. Writing can be lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love these chats! :) see you tonight

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great post. when I learned about Twitter in Jan., i was so skeptical. Now I too have a *slight* problem - but it's only b/c the writers/agents I follow are just so cool and share such great info. And I'm met some awesome Betas too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great post. when I learned about Twitter in Jan., i was so skeptical. Now I too have a *slight* problem - but it's only b/c the writers/agents I follow are just so cool and share such great info. And I'm met some awesome Betas too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chats are way more fun than I'd ever expected, I must say.

    Thanks for the shout-outs and for participating in the chats, oh fellow addict!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: