10/30/2009

NaNoWriMo - Or - Who's Crazy?

Photo Source: flickr

NanoWriMo, better known as National Novel Writing Month, is when writers all over the nation, nay, the world, go koo koo ka choo and attempt to write 50,000 words in the thirty days that are November. No, it can't be the same word over and over again.

This is koo koo ka choo for many reasons. That averages out to ... a stinkin' lot of words every day for a month. A month that involves turkey, relatives, the Macy's Day Parade, Black Friday, relatives, travel, the World Series and relatives. All of these things are crazy - at least on some level. Add in writing a stinkin' lot of words every day and November might as well become an extended Mardi Gras. With more drinking. (Although I've heard the drinking starts for AGENTS on December 1st, when they receive a deluge of query letters for 50,000 word first drafts.)

Even so, I am doing NaNo this year - for a few reasons.

1. I just turned in my revisions to Awesome Agent Holly and I sense SUBMISSION on the horizon. As exciting as this is, it is also slightly crazy making, so I need a distraction.

2. If I'm going to be a Pantser (one who has a general story idea and jumps in to write it while flying by the seat of her pants) instead of a Plotter (they ... y'know ... plot), then I think it would be a lovely experiment to try to PUSH through a draft at least once without allowing any editing. You can't edit during NaNo. Editing takes words away. The goal of NaNo is excess.

To quote Henry David Thoreau:

Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience.

The thing about NaNo is that you have no time to cool. That could be good for me.

3. Finally, the most exciting reason, I'm going to try collaborating for NaNo with the amazing Kimberly Pauley (who's sequel to Sucks to Be Me, aptly titled Still Sucks to be Me, had its release date bumped up to May *cheers*)! I'm going to love working with Kimberly not only because she's a class act and knows her stuff, but because I ADORE her sense of humor. Also, she is the Nicest Person on the Internet. So chances are high she'll still like me come December.

We think we can provide the world with some hilarity. We all need some of that.

(See relatives, above.)


4 comments:

  1. Don't forget it's also the month Dragon Age is being released. I'm just as crazy as you though, so I've jumped on board. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your NaNo name would be what...so we can buddy you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the soon to be editor submitting! I wish I could jump on board with NaNo. It sounds like a lot of fun! But I'm working like a crazed person on the 3rd book in my series that my agent will be submitting next week! Eeek! But I will be sure to follow the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your NaNo name would be what...so we can buddy you?

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: