All her world’s a stage.

Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.

She’s not an orphan, but she has no parents.

She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own.

Until now.

Okay people, pretty soon I'm going to blog about my top three favorite books of the summer. This one is absolutely on the list.

EYES LIKE STARS by Lisa Mantchev is amazing. I've posted a professional-type review at Young Adult Books Central's blog, but I get to say whatever I want here, yo.

I adore this book. I really, really, really adore it. The humor is amazing, AMAZING I say! I SO get Bertie. My lovely friend CJ Redwine actually said Bertie reminded her of a younger me, which is the BEST COMPLIMENT EVER. I totally used to smoke clove cigarettes!

However, I never made out with a water spirit on a chaise lounge, nor have I dyed my hair blue.

At least not yet.

I love fresh creative concepts, and EYES LIKE STARS is chock full of fresh and creative. Lisa obviously knows the theater inside and out, and her descriptions of the Theater Illuminata makes all us dramatic types want to trod the boards again.

While the works of Shakespeare are pivotal to the plot, you don't have to have extensive knowledge of his plays (says the girl who scraped by with a "C" in her college Shakespeare class...I blame it on a bad breakup, er...being kicked to the curb that semester). A quick wiki search will serve you well. Or better yet, go whole hog and check out some Willy Shakes from the library. It won't hurtcha none.

So, with all my enthusiasm for EYES LIKE STARS and in all the craziness and cupcake discussions (you know who you are) and revelry to be had on Twitter, I came up with a wild idea that Lisa liked and mentioned on her blog. In her words, here are the deets:

"So here's the deal: you take a cupcake (or a brownie, or a PIE if you're a real fairy) to your bookstore and have an impromptu partaking of dessert on Saturday, July 11th. Take pictures. Blog them, tweet them, post them here (at Lisa's blog). Then we'll gather them up and make a virtual scrapbook of the frosting-carnage."

And guess what, people? If you participate you could win A SIGNED HARDCOVER.

I want me one o' them.

So do it, enjoy yourselves, and if you really want to have fun follow Lisa (@LisaMantchev) on Twitter. She's an excellent tweeter. And she lobs cupcakes at you if she likes what you say.

What's not good about that?

And read Eyes Like Stars. Or start watching over your shoulder for the fairy enforcers.

It's hard to get frosting out of your hair.


  1. You realize this is the first release from the Cupcake Posse since we became offical. *wiggles eyebrows*

    We'll have to hit every bookstore and library in town, making sure they've got this book. Also, shouldn't teachers and homeschoolers make it required reading for high school? I thought so.

  2. I think I once made out with a water spirit. I must get this book!

  3. I think I once made out with a water spirit. I must get this book!


Tell us everything: