The Passage of Time and Brass Ones

This Is Just to Say
by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in 
the icebox

and which 
you were probably 
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

When I was younger and more idealistic and severely lacking in cojones, I thought this poem was sort of romantic. Now that I'm older, more realistic and have grown a lovely set of brass ones, I think William Carlos Williams was sort of an ass. 

That's why I prefer this poem:

This Is Just to Say
Erica-Lynn Gambino

(for William Carlos Williams)

I have just
asked you to
get out of my

even though
you never thought
I would

Forgive me
you were
me insane


  1. Um, I laughed my butt off at this. Is that wrong?

  2. Not wrong at all. But I have a skewed sense of judgment.

    Your book trailer was funnier.

  3. And I was going to link to it, but I can't figure out how to copy and paste on a Mac. It's on YouTube, the book is SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater. I don't think there's another one.

  4. Linkie linkie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV1be10lyMw

    and highlight it and press command+C to cut and command+V to paste. (command is that one with the weird clover pattern thingy on it).

    And thanks. :D

  5. Thanks for the great laugh. Your thoughts help me get through many days. ;)

  6. Totally awesome!!! I think you are dead-on. It's not just men though. It's friends, kids, neighbors, the dog...

    I had a "moment" this morning as I was lying awake in the darkness. It suddenly popped into my head that you are giving away an ARC. I thought... WAIT A MINUTE, BACK UP THE TRUCK!!!

    Did I miss something? Do you have a publishing contract, girl????

  7. I concur. William Carlos Williams is an ass. And his parents were asses too. William Williams? Come on!

  8. NO NO NO. A couple of the ARC's I've reviewed. The pile is as tall as my desk.

  9. Oh, okay! Sorry it's not the case, though.

    Yeah, Paul has a good point there.


Tell us everything: