5/11/2009

It's True


On iTunes: Could be Jock Jams 1, 2 or 64

Heart Status: I'm drinking from a SuperGirl mug. Guess.


It is imperative you stop laughing. Right now. I know when you look at the picture above you say, "Wow. Myra must have been a groupie for the Mets. Look at her sweet collared shirt."

But this is not the case. Dear Husband played professional baseball for 6 years with the New York Mets organization. He was a lefty pitcher before an aneurysm in his shoulder and Tommy John surgery on his elbow sort of made that job difficult for him. This picture is not from that time.

This pic ran with an article in the local paper when yours truly became the actual General Manager of the New York Mets Appalachian League affiliate - The K-Mets. I was hired the same day DH retired. Remember my major in college? You know, English and Sociology?

In keeping with the "I am the biggest goober you have ever/never met" revelation of last week, let me just say...it was a job at which I sucked. For four whole years.

I wasn't in charge of the coaching aspect, just sales and public relations. I was pretty good at the public relations part, but the sales part? Not so much.

I made the most lucrative sales to the people who liked me. I swear I think some people just made appointments with me because they wanted to know what I would say next. Those people were the ones who gave us the big sponsorship dollars.

The players thought I was hilarious. I think they were just thrown by a woman in baseball. That and my...appendages. We had several biggie name players who were but wee babes back then...Jose Reyes, Angel Pagan and one Mr. David Wright (Who Dear Husband and I took to Cracker Barrel after church one Sunday. We paid. I know.).

I had some great managers. Edgar Alfonso, brother to Edgardo Alfonso (mom must have just been tired when the younger one came out), was sweet and infectious and fun to be around. Mookie Wilson was a total rock star and a true professional. Joey Cora...we are STILL in a fight. We broke up before we ever got together. I could tell stories for DAYS.

All this to inform you that my next story is coming from a male POV. I just wanted to clarify I totally have the qualifications to tell it.

And I know how to pull a tarp in case of rain. Just so you know.

11 comments:

  1. Myra, I about fell over when I saw the photo. I just spent a week at that ballpark doing stats and PA for our college conference baseball tournament. Too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ballpark is gorgeous. I loved that it was so close to nature. Except for that time we had to stop a game because of the skunk that was loose on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Okay, okay...I believe you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've played our conference tournament there the past three years and I LOVE THE BALLPARK!!! Press box is bit odd being off-center and all ... Never had a skunk run across the field though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's so cool!!!
    (But I'm a Red Sox fan)

    No hard feelings, right? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! And I grew up on Long Island as an honest-to-goodness Mets fan! Let's Go Mets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great experience to prepare you for writing a male POV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is me being jealous of your former job.

    I still love the '86 Mets and I don't care if their best players were on crank. Plus, Keith Hernandez was like the Magnum PI of baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It gets better. Bob Stanley (Steamer) was my husband's AA pitching coach.

    I do not heart him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great experience to prepare you for writing a male POV!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is me being jealous of your former job.

    I still love the '86 Mets and I don't care if their best players were on crank. Plus, Keith Hernandez was like the Magnum PI of baseball.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us everything: