Rah Rah, Sis Boom...

On iTunes - Jump Rope by Blue October

Heart Status - Hopeful

One of my favorite things in the world is encouragement. I absolutely love to give it. I love to get it, too, but I find it horribly uncomfortable to receive in any sort of face to face form. Write me a note if you have anything nice to say. Or if you have anything not nice to say. I don't like confrontation, either.

Here's a post from Lilith Saintcrow (thanks to C.J. at The Last Word) that's just chock full of warm fuzzies. I've read the author's YA debut, Strange Angels, for YABC. Good stuff people, really good stuff. It's published under the name Lili St. Crow and will be available in June. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

In this blog post Dame Lili says "go until your heart burns. Do not stop." Did I really need someone to tell me that? Yes, I did. Worse yet, I needed someone to give me permission to do it. When I was younger (and apparently masochistic) I looked for permission in all the wrong places. Most parents aren't going to encourage a kid to be a writer - starving artist and all. Some teachers are going to see your spark, others are going to compare you to brighter flames and tell you certain things are not a possibility for you.

They are full of crap.

Anything is a possibility for you. How hard/smart are you willing to work? Are you willing to nurture hope? There are days hope hides in the back of my craft closet (which is a truly frightening place). I have to go in, fight paint and stamp pads and pasta shells, and drag the son of a biscuit out by the bohunkus.

But I do it.

I love what I do. Love it. It makes me giddy. Writing gives me that first crush feeling - the whole hyperventilation/possible vomit situation I mention often is not a joke. Potentially harking back to my problem with masochism, not only is it not a joke, I live for it. When I finally get the house clean, the monkeys in bed and sit down at my computer - I want to cry because of the utter JOY.

So if you feel that way, about ANYTHING, pursue that thing. Don't wait 34 years to give yourself permission. Don't spend 34 years trying to get it from someone else. Go for it. Just do it. Do it NOW.

Sis Boom Bah.


  1. Can I just say that I heart you because one of the post labels you use on your blog is "vomit"?

  2. Are you only 34??? How come I am 36??? HAHAHA

    I am so happy you are following your passion!!!!


  3. CJ...I heart you too, and not just because of goats, zombies, and non-sparkly vampire dolls.

    Jo...Aren't you aging backwards, too? It's amazing. My boobs are actually getting *higher*.

  4. Not only can you write good books but you write good blogs!


Tell us everything: